We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenlosh Cottages

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Glenlosh Cottages

Hello-

Planning to return to Ireland Summer 2007. Wondering if anyone has heard of, or stayed in, Glenlosh Cottages. I believe they are in the Maam area. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sherry

Missouri
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

Never stayed there but while in the area you should check out the Quiet Man Museum.The film, The Quiet Man with John Wayne,Maureen O'Hara and Ward Bond was filmed all through there.I suggest watching it before your trip as you will still recognize some buildings.

Missouri
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

Never stayed there but while in the area you should check out the Quiet Man Museum.The film, The Quiet Man with John Wayne,Maureen O'Hara and Ward Bond was filmed all through there.I suggest watching it before your trip as you will still recognize some buildings.

NYC
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

Just so you know - these cottages are amazing, beautiful inside, all mod. cons, the area is very quiet and remote...very cool and ethereal....

I have stayed in two of the cottages, loved it- and I'm from Ireland.

sligo ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

hi we have stayed a total of 3 times in 2 different cottages in glenlosh--the last time was in july 2006---the cottages are well equipted and lovely inside and out---they are located in a valley with one small narrow approach road---big disadvantage as the surface is very poor--the last time we were there we had to visit a garage when we left as we developed a vibration --this in a new car, driven by a very careful driver---so please check with the owners(who are really nice) if the road has been repaired otherwise you are in for a very unique irish experience!!

also just to add there is no mobile reception in the valley--great to get away from the world but a worry if you need to be in contact with family---a drive out of the valley will take approx 30-40minutes

Galway
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

I'm from the general area (Oughterard) and can tell you that the "German Valley" (so called because the people who own and rent the cottages are German and basically own the whole valley), is a beautiful, haunting getaway. I've stayed in one and visited two of the cottages and they are beautiful. You will get fresh duck eggs and milk and a very warm welcome from Ani and Henner . Superb hiking straight from the cottages, but please don't plan on driving in and out of the valley each day or you'll go mad - especially if you're staying at the furthest cottage - it is tedious because the road is so bad (unless you have 4-wheel drive). As stated previously, mobile coverage is very poor to non-existant. Great pub about 15 minutes drive away in Maam. It's called Keanes and is the real deal. There are very few pubs left in Ireland that are so authentic - no upgrading/refurbishing here! All the locals go here (there are some real characters) and if weather is conducive, lovely to sit on the bridge outside and watch the boats go by. Have fun!

belfast
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

Stayed in Glenlosh cottages at Easter. Beautiful location but very isolated. if you want peace and quiet and want to walk this is a perfect location.-not the place for moody teenagers. Stayed in Lydon 1 cottage which was very nice. Owners excellent and live at head of valley

belfast
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

Stayed in Glenlosh cottages at Easter. Beautiful location but very isolated. if you want peace and quiet and want to walk this is a perfect location.-not the place for moody teenagers. Stayed in Lydon 1 cottage which was very nice. Owners excellent and live at head of valley

8. Re: Glenlosh Cottages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 17:19