We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

We are traveling from Doolin by car and plan to spend two nights in the Connemara area. Would Clifden or Westport be best for a base? We are interested in the scenery and good trad music.

7 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

Clifden would get my vote as more central to popular spots. Westport would be better if you wanted to get up to Achill but there is enough in the immediate vicinity of Clifden to fill more than 2 days. http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

I'd go with Clifden as well. It's a charming little town with lots of music and some good restaurants. Plus, you've got the Sky Road and the Bog Road. The coast drive down to Roundstone is pretty cool and views of the Bens just to the east.

I drove through Westport twice and never found a place to park.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

Cliffden for me too.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

Another vote for Clifden, we spent a few hours there on our first visit to Ireland, 3 nights there on our second visit and have planned for 5 nights for our next trip!

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

That's encouraging as we have a week's rental at Clifden and second thoughts are starting to bubble up. Pushing them back down now.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

We spent two great weeks in Letterfrack back in mid-May. This area is a great location for travel in several different directions. One of our favorite drives was to take the N59 to Leenane and the the R335 along the north side of the harbor and up along the loughs. You can follow it all the way to Louisburgh and then east to Westport. The only parking spot we found in Westport was at a Tesco store, though.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?

Got a tip from our B&B hostess on parking in Westport. Use the parking lot behind the Super Valu. We've done that on three trips to Westport. Be sure and go thru the SV and buy something of course.

BTW--I'll add my endorsement of Clifden as well. We like J Coneelys for music.

Reply to: Clifden or Westport for overnights while touring Connemara?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted