We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renvyle Strand

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renvyle Strand

We have purchased a getaway to Renvyle Strand and are curious about the reactions of others who may have stayed there. Also, we are interested in availability and cost of golf in the area and whether we can expect to find people singing Irish songs in the local pubs. Other general info would also be welcomed. It will be our first trip to Ireland (from California).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renvyle Strand

You can book online for the Connemara Golf Club. I'm guessing that's going to be somewhere about 30 minutes drive from Renvyle.

You're in a fairly remote area, I'm sure there's a pub or two in the area but I'm not sure if you'd have to drive to them versus walking, so someone will have to behave themselves lol...

In general you wouldn't expect to see people sitting around singing in pubs these days. More likely to be watching Sky News or a match lol...

But you never know, and depending on what time of year your visit is planned for you'll probably have some music going on somewhere in the vicinity.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renvyle Strand

Sorry - Meant to include the link for Connemara Golf Club. I'm not a golfer but friends of mine played there several times and enjoyed it. (I have family just a couple miles down the road)

http://www.connemaragolflinks.com/

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renvyle Strand

Thanks for the response. I must admit that I am a little disappointed about the music thing, since I play guitar and sing Irish (mostly Clancy Brothers stuff) songs. I'm not bringing my guitar but had hoped to find places to sit in anyway. I will diligently explore the pubs when I get there however, although I am aware that the Clancy Brothers are not really current in Ireland (if they ever were). I am planning on golfing my head off. We will be in Ireland for a month (only a week in this location). I plan to play a few of the well known courses (don't know which ones yet) and am hoping to find some other less known (and therefore less expensive places also. I will check courses out on line but will wait till I get there to make tee times, to avoid getting stuck in too much terrible weather at expensive layouts. We are looking forward to the trip, which I am sure will be great fun.

Thanks again.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renvyle Strand

"Thanks for the response. I must admit that I am a little disappointed about the music thing, since I play guitar and sing Irish (mostly Clancy Brothers stuff) songs. I'm not bringing my guitar but had hoped to find places to sit in anyway. "

Then what you're looking for is a "session" in a pub, and I have no doubt you'd find those if you were looking for them. That's a bit different than the way I read your original question, which led me to think you were expecting to find people having a "sing song" in the local pub, which is altogether different.

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renvyle Strand

you can play a 9 hole course right there about 50 yards in front of the house you rented.I stayed at the mont bretia the last of the time shares on your right when looking at them,that is the ones on the renvyle house property.Several places to eat, there is a place in Letterfrack that you will enjoy and grocery shopping,there is the convience storeat tully cross,a co- op store at Letterfrack and a supervalue in Cliffden.You will need a parking slip or there is also parking below the supervalue.When driving there dont make the mistake and take the road that looks faster turn off the n59 at Letterfrack.There are some other golf courses all around but as far as scenic value you wont come close until you get down around Killarney.I`m not a golfer and I can only comment on scenic value.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renvyle Strand

Jaysus, if you sang Clancy Brothers stuff around this neck of the woods the boys in their white coats would surely lift you. Otherwise the pub owner would get you to leave for fear of losing the rest of his customers.

7. Re: Renvyle Strand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about County Galway