We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Gaeltacht

jaimelestrains
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Galway Gaeltacht

Dhia Duit,

I'm staying near Galway town without a car but can take a bus. I'm trying to learn Irish. What is the best town in the Galway Gaeltacht for a quick visit (few hours) accessible by public bus?

Thanks 'is Slan!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Gaeltacht

I suppose the area around Inveran (about 20 miles west of Galway city) would be a good choice. The only reason I know this is because my son spent a few weeks there at irish college and it is an Irish speaking area. (Very scenic too)

My question however is, what do you propose to do when you get to an irish speaking area for a few hours? Your standard of Irish conversation would want to be very good in order to get someone to spend time with you ag caint !!

I'm not sure if you will learn much irish just by visiting an irish speaking area for a few hours.

Maybe a better idea would be to find out if there are short irish speaking classes for beginners in Galway city itself and concentrate on that.

It is very encouraging to read that you want to learn the language, i hope it goes well for you.

Slán go fóill.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Gaeltacht

Thought you might enjoy this short film on a young Chinese man who learns Irish in order to visit Ireland ......one of my all time favourite Irish short films, :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA0a62wmd1A

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Gaeltacht

The Gaeltacht starts at Spiddal traffic lights so anywhere west of Spiddal onto the Connemara, or across onto the Isles.

These links might also help;

discoverireland.ie/West/…An-Ghaeltacht.aspx

http://irish.spike-jamie.com/gaelic.html

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Gaeltacht

Club Arás na nGael at 45 Dominic St is the base for the Galway branch of Conradh, the Irish language body. They have dance classes, language classes etc and you would be very welcome. Best of luck - maith thú!

5. Re: Galway Gaeltacht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 06:15