We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for just a few days in the West?

Mount Sterling...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for just a few days in the West?

Hi - I posted this in the general Ireland forum, but realized it might be better suited here!

Hi! I have had such a great time over the last few weeks reading all of your helpful information about Ireland! My trip isn't until September, but I'm having the best time planning it!

Here is my itinerary dilemma: My best friend and I will be taking a bike tour in the southwest (Counties Cork and Kerry), and it begins on a Sunday and ends on Friday. We both start and end in Cork. From there, we're planning to rent a car and do some exploring on our own.

This is where we are staying:

Friday and Saturday nights: Gregan's Castle in Ballyvaughan

Sunday night: Galway

Monday and Tuesday nights: Dublin

Question # 1: Is it possible to see the Cliffs of Moher (and maybe Poulnabrone) en route from Cork to Ballyvaughan and in an afternoon? I think the earliest we could pick up our rental car at the Cork airport is 1:30. If we could hit those spots on Friday afternoon, that would free up Saturday to visit Inishmore and Sunday to either just explore Galway or perhaps see some of Connemara. I'd love to figure out a way to make this work, but also know that the "drive times" are often much longer than expected.

Question #2: If the drive from Cork to Ballyvaughan will take too long to allow us to see the Cliffs on the way, we will devote Saturday to that (and other points of interest in the Burren). I would still really love to see Inishmore, though, so could do that on Sunday, but that would mean missing strolling around Galway and, obviously, Connamara.

Question #3: Finally, any ideas of some neat things to see on our drive from Galway to Dublin?

I should note that this will actually be my third trip to Ireland (but the first in many years), but my friend has never visited, so I want to be sure that she sees the Cliffs and experiences at least an evening of Galway's fun. I'd also love to fit in Inishmore though, because it and Connamara are the 2 places on our itinerary that I have never seen.

Many, many thanks in advance for your wisdom!

All Things Connemara
Bike Tours, Equipment Hire
West Ireland Cycling
Bike Tours, Equipment Hire
Pedal Power Galway
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,536 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for just a few days in the West?

Does it have to be Inishmore? If you opted for Inish Meain (Inishmaan), you could get there from Doolin in Co Clare:

If that option is to your liking, you could slow down and devote your time to Co Clare - east as well as west - (and, maybe south Co Galway):

Then, save Galway and Connemara for another visit.

2. Re: Itinerary for just a few days in the West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now