We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway in August?

Metz, France
Level Contributor
48 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Galway in August?

I may stay for a few days in Galway this August and I won't have a car. Do you have any ideas to suggest (food, travel, things to see and do, places to stay, shopping, events, free or cheap suggestions)?

Thanks a million!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway in August?

August starts with the Races (end July) and ends with Heritage Week galwaytourism.ie/…August So, busy month all round.. There are the standard Tours Burren and Cliffs, Aran Isles, Connemara with either Kylemore Abbey or Cong. lots of Shopping, lots of Pubs http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/ many with things on, Local Press will also have pointers nearer the time.

Metz, France
Level Contributor
48 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway in August?

Lots of thanks for the links! Is there a specific place in Galway I should go to?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway in August?

A walk from Galway city centre to Salthill is a must in my opinion. It is described here:

http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/todo/walks/

The old University building is also well worth seeing and a short stroll from the city centre:

…wordpress.com/2010/…chian_march08-21011.jpg

I'd avoid during the races as it will be packed with people and hotels likely to be at inflated prices. Do you have a budget for a hotel?

Metz, France
Level Contributor
48 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway in August?

Salthill sounds beautiful, I definitely want to go there.

I won't have that much money to spend (either on hotels or visits), I know August isn't the best time to go but there's no other choice this time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway in August?

Being landlocked in the desert in the States, I usually prefer to spend my holiday on the coast and can spend more than a reasonable amount of time just sitting by the sea and feeling the breeze, so I may not always offer the best advice. :)

Salthill is lovely if you want to stay out of the busier city center. My favorite place in Salthill is the Galway Bay Hotel. It's around the corner from the prom and across the street from the beach, and the dining room has a lovely view of the bay. The Salthill beach is, in my opinion, one of the best in Ireland.

You may wish to take a walking tour of Galway city - there is plenty to see - more than I can mention or even remember.

St Nicholas' Church is lovely, and there's a nice open farmer's market next to it on Saturday and Sunday and bank holidays. Of course the best selection is available earlier in the day. Galway Cathedral is something to see as well.

If you're around the Spanish Arch, you can stop for a bite at Cupan Tae...and it's a short walk from the Corrib (our rivers are dry too) and an almost short walk from the bay.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway in August?

Doolin Co, Clare is next door to the Cliffs of Moher

It attracts Backpackers year round to " Paddy's Hostel "

"the local" O'Connors Bar at night has Trad music

while you study the pint of black with your new friends

from all corners of the globe.

" Relish thee un-expected "

Don't be shy now.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway in August?

If you can make time head out into Connemara

see the Killary ( Harbour ) Fjords in Leenane

Youtube " AT YOUR SERVICE PART 1 "

followed by PART 2 and PART 3

enjoy.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway in August?

Youtube " AT YOUR SERVICE CLOUGHJORDAN "

This episode features an award winning hostel in Galway city.

Metz, France
Level Contributor
48 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway in August?

Thanks everyone!

I think we'll stay a few days in Salthill.

Is there a bus tour you'd suggest from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher? or maybe to the Connemara?

Metz, France
Level Contributor
48 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway in August?

I've checked your videos rick w but Cloughjordan is in Tipperary, isn't it?