We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran Islands

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Aran Islands

Hi, we want to go to the three Aran Islands with our car. We looked up the two ferry companies but cannot tell whether cars can be taken on board. Anyone know?

We are going APril 2008 btw.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
938 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aran Islands

We took the ferry from Rossaveal near Galway to Inis Mor. There were no cars on our ferry, if I remember correctly. I assume there must be some way to get a car over there, but I am not sure it would be worth it for ust a visit to each of the islands.

Why do you want to take your car to the Aran Islands?

nyc
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aran Islands

Do we need cars? In April will we have other options?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aran Islands

heather i don't think you will be allowed to do that.....now others can correct me if i am wrong.....but i am certain you can't on inisheer, but not positive about the other two.....but i don't think so as the areas are way to small to have outside cars causes problems for them....

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aran Islands

no you cannot take a car to the islands.

You can rent bikes there, or mopeds, or you can take one of the jaunting cars (horse and cart).

Inismore is the biggest island - the easiest to get to

Inisthiar is the next most popular island - smaller but beautiful also

Inismaan - the smallest island and the hardest to get to - absolutely stunning - the most authentic of all three islands, and the most untouched.

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aran Islands

Thanks!! We did some more research and found a parking lot for the car.(whew! LOL) now, we are looking for a B and B that is in Kilronan

Clai Ban? Has anyone heard of it? Does anyone have recommendation? for a B and B in the

center" so to speak?

Many thanks!

TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aran Islands

I thought Inis Oirr (aka Inis Thiar, aka Inisheer ) was the smallest island. I might have the names all goofed up, though. I'm talking about the one furthest east. I took a ferry from Doolin to Inis Oirr and loved every minute I spent on the island.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aran Islands

when I was talking about smallest island i was talking population wise - I thin inisthiar is the smallest is geographical size, but inismaan is the smallest re. amenities, populations, etc.

TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aran Islands

Thanks for the clarification, whales. One of my goals for a second trip to Ireland is to visit the other two islands.

9. Re: Aran Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 10:38