We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ferries

After a bit more research, it appears that there are two ferry companies to the Aran Islands - Arandirect & Aran Island Ferries. It looks to me as though they both have a bus from Merchants Rd. (a block away from the bus/train station) and both have the same bus and ferry times. The only difference I can see is Arandirect has electric stabilizers for a smoother ride and is slightly more expensive. Am I correct in my understanding? Does anyone recommend one ferry over the other in terms of reliability?

Mentioned in this post
Aran Island Ferries
Aran Island Ferries
772 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferries

Yes Aunty Mo, reliability is dependant upon the weather and sea conditions prevailing when you want to make the crossing, no problem normally in the summer months. Stabilizers certainly do help to make the journey more pleasant but are no guarantee of a smooth ride. Advise that you choose a day when the sea is moderately calm or take the helecopter ride instead.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
248 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferries

Hi Aunty Mo, Have you considered flying across? It takes only 7 minutes to the smallest island and costs 45euro return 9if you are a student or in a group you can avail of reduced fares) you fly from Conemara airport in an Aer Arann 9 seaterand it is hassle free and a really exciting way to arrive. Fantastic.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferries

Thanks for suggestion of flight, but I'm terrified of heights and don't like to get on anything smaller than a 747 or DC10! We'll be coming by train from Dublin (after an 11 day coach tour). Our daughter said we can't leave Ireland without seeing the Aran Islands - will only be going to Inishmore. I think we'll probably go with the Arandirect because of husband's motion sickness.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferries

there is not much difference.

when are you coming. There is a new service starting up in Galway city where you can get a boat to the aran islands direct from the docks in Galway and it only takes an hour or so. It starts up in June. Let me know when you are coming and I will find out some more about it for you.

Mentioned in this post
Galway City Hostel
Galway City Hostel
185 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferries

We're coming mid-September. Thanks for offer to get info Whales. A map I have shows Aran Island Ferries dock in Galway so I was wondering why we have to take a bus somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Aran Island Ferries
Aran Island Ferries
772 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferries

they used to take people from Galway city to the islands but then it stopped and now you only get to the islands via rossaveal (bus included to rossaveal).

However this new service coming in in June sounds great - not only will it do trips from Galway city to the Islands but they will do night-time harbour cruises also.

Mentioned in this post
Galway City Hostel
Galway City Hostel
185 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferries

have a look at this auntymo

http://www.arandirect.com/aranprincess.php

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferries

Thank you very much Whales. I'll have to keep an eye on their site to see when they post schedules and fares.

9. Re: ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 06:25