We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Car Rental Question

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, New...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Another Car Rental Question

We are in the process of trying to rent a car for our trip in July, 08.

In reality, what kind of insurance is, without a doubt, a necessity and which are not?

Collision Damage Waiver

Damage Excess Insurance

Personal Accident Insurance

Return Fuel (??)

These are from an actually rental company.

Trying to save a little money here! We figure it's going to be well over $700.00 for a decent size car to carry 3 adults for a week.

Thanks!!!

Wellington
Level Contributor
112 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Car Rental Question

CDW is required, it may be covered at no charge by your credit card co. check with them. Excess coverage covers your deductible, usually E1500. Return the car full and you do not need fuel refil coverage. Do not forget to buy additional driver coverage, and if a one way rental find out about a drop fee.

Hudson, New...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Car Rental Question

Quick response and informative! Thanks so much!

Boston
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Car Rental Question

If you have a platinum Mastercard, you can waive the CDW- but now all the Irish rental places want it in WRITING that Republic of Ireland is covered. (In the past, I checked and told renter verbally and was good to go.)

Gotta read the small print; my son's friend got what they thought was a cheap rate last year, but CDW was NOT included, they never waived it and got a bill for over half what the week's rental had cost at the end.

Plat MC also has personal accident included. Most rentals have damage excess in. Return fuel is same as if you rented here.

usa
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Car Rental Question

HI,

I recently (early April)rented through 'Kemwel' and had a great experience. Very good rate, basic coverage included CDW and Theft, and happily a free upgrade. A deposit for the SCDW was put on our credit card which was refunded on the return of the car. Kemwel finds the best rate available and sends you a voucher for a specific rental conpany (mine being Europcar) You have to pay ahead of time with their warranty stating that you can cancel with full refund prior to the end of the rental period.

On previous visits we have rented through Argus and Avis and they were fine ... just a lot more expensive!

Good Luck!

McKenna, Washington
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Car Rental Question

Make sure about the MasterCard coverage...ask and ask and ask again!

As for the refueling, I have seen a couple of agencies that state to return the car empty, so double check that also.

And finally, look into the car insurance through: www.insurance4carhire.com; it was recommended by cconceirge on my post as I am facing the same situation.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Car Rental Question

I agree with SkyDuo on Mastercard. I have had a Platinum Mastercard (thru Chase Bank) for 13 years and they most definetly DO NOT cover any rental car coverage in Ireland.

We were told a Capital One Mastercard covered the CDW in Ireland, we were told this by the Mastercard people over the phone, so we applied for one, we were reassured they covered Ireland, when we got the paperwork, it clearly stated they do not cover Ireland...so don't trust what they tell you over the phone!

I think maybe it is only the World Business Platinum Mastercard that MAY cover Ireland.

Also, even if you are 100% positive your credit card covers Ireland, check with your rental car agency to be sure they accept the card and coverage that card provides.

ny
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Car Rental Question

We are just back from a week in Ireland, and rented a car from Dan Dooley. We used the platinum citibank mastercard, and were told at the the rental pick up desk that we had the 'right' card.

We waived CDW and received an unexpected upgrade to a brand new Ford Focus.. All in all a great experience.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Car Rental Question

This Car Rental Insurance topic is a veritable quagmire. I found Irish Car Rental's latest version - 14th April 2008 - of its Rental Terms. There is so much to absorb; so many different terms; not always clear (to me) what is obligatory and what is optional, let alone, what is a good idea, even if it's not absolutely essential. In addition I still don't understand what is covered by which card as distinct from what might be and what one hopes might be.....

Take a look at the link below at the various headings and numerous acronyms, not to mention how almost every heading involves additional charges. Love the Christmas one! Lucky, it's Spring.

Sorry, JEM, as I'm not part of any solution, it's looking like I'm adding to your problem. Others will sort us both out, I hope; maybe even sort out the issue as well.

http://www.irishcarrentals.com/tandcs.html

Good luck and enjoy your trip in July.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Car Rental Question

As far as credit cards and what is covered, the ONLY way you can be sure is to read your cardmember agreement. It is a little booklet with tiny print that the issuing banks send when they sent you the cards (you should always keep these). One thing to remember with credit card benefits is that if you don't have the information in writing, then you don't have the benefit!

Anyway, it is not correct to make a blanket statement such as Mastercard Platinum will cover car rental insurance in Ireland. Each individual issuing bank offers different "benefits" for their cardholders, and can break down benefits for the same kind of card (such as Mastercard Platinum) depending upon pretty much anything they want, such as when one becomes a cardholder.

Actually, there are few, if any issuing banks that cover car rental insurance in Ireland (though they do in many other countries). And yes, I used to be employed in the credit card industry!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Car Rental Question

"In reality, what kind of insurance is, without a doubt, a necessity and which are not?"

- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) if you do not deal with insurance4carhire, or are not confirmed coveragae in writing by your credit card co

- Damage Excess Insurance (also called "SuperCDW": what the Irish call excess is what we call deductible. Should you have a collision, even minor, having declined the S-CDW will cost you between € 900 and € 1200 -- for the deductibe alone, excluding eventual damages to side mirrors, and tires.

Also, if you want your car to be equipped with A/C, it's an option you have to book ahead, and pay for.