We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My thoughts on Galway

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
My thoughts on Galway

Hi all

Just back from a 4 night stay in Galway..........

My wife and I stayed at the Park House Hotel, and I have to say that this one of the friendliest hotels anywhere. The politeness of the staff, seems to rub off each and every member, even down to the room maids.

Food at the hotel is well above the norm, with Sunday lunch a particular favoutite with the locals.

We managed to visit many bars,to listen to the trad music and sample the black stuff. More often than not, a knowing nod to the bar staff was all that was required for the second round!

The locals sure like a drink, but never was there any hint of trouble,the pub opposite the Patk House .

Au Pucan, was especially friendly.

Had a lunch of cod and chips at McDonaghs.....the batter was special, light,cunchy and not at all greasy. The cod was very very fresh, but although they have awards for their chips, we thought them to be only average. Nice buzzy atmosphere at the communal tables though.

Dinner at The Malt House was disappointing and expensive. For instance monfish with a measly portion of veg was 27 euro, and the cheeseboard, was 4 tiny pieces of cheese for 12.50 euro.

The air con was'nt working, causing the room to be very warm indeed.

Yes a few gripes , but sure glad we visited.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My thoughts on Galway

Expressguy, glad you enjoyed your trip to Galway. Sounds like you had, overall, a pretty nice time!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My thoughts on Galway

wow express guy - thanks for that post. Its a good one.

Funny, somebody else posted on this forum not too long ago - they stayed in the same place as you and visited probably the same bars and absoluted slated the whole of Galway.

Its great that you posted this - if nothing else at least it shows other tourists that everyone is welcome.

Thanks for that.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My thoughts on Galway

"Dinner at The Malt House was disappointing and expensive. For instance monfish with a measly portion of veg was 27 euro, and the cheeseboard, was 4 tiny pieces of cheese for 12.50 euro."

I'm sorry to hear that, the Malt House was always my "splurge a bit" night out in Galway. But I haven't been there in a couple years now.

Sounds like the rest of your trip was a success, I'm another fan of the Park House.

Durham, England
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My thoughts on Galway

The Malt House always used to be our favourite too.

We are returning in September for the 1st time in 3 years, we may give it a miss this time round.

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My thoughts on Galway

I've never even heard of the Malt House but should you really be deciding to skip it based on one opinion??!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My thoughts on Galway

"I've never even heard of the Malt House but should you really be deciding to skip it based on one opinion??!"

I don't think anyone was suggesting that it be skipped??!

But in light of this opinion as well as those previously expressed about the Malt House by a local Galway expert, I'd probably try somewhere else next time I'm in town - plenty of decent options in Galway and environs.

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My thoughts on Galway

Eh.....

"We are returning in September for the 1st time in 3 years, we may give it a miss this time round."

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My thoughts on Galway

Well for goodness' sake everything, everywhere is up this year. I'm sure I will pass out from sticker shock on my next visit! Maybe a little of the "malt stuff" to revive me :) Definately will save some euros for that.

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My thoughts on Galway

You may need more than a little, Cormac. Hic hic. And do spare a thought for those of us who have to live with it for more than a couple of weeks! :-)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My thoughts on Galway

completely understand. Michigan is devistated. That is why I can't make it this year. No direct flights, horrible fares, dollar/euro, huge jump on cost of living here means less fun money. I'm reading Ireland is suffering the blow to the Tiger.

My heart goes out to all.