We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lively Towns in Galway

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lytham St Annes
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lively Towns in Galway

We will be travelling to Galway late May 2009.We have been looking at many areas and the favourite so far is Clifden.We want scenery, sea, and a bustling picturesque town with plenty of restaurants, shops and lively pubs.Also it must be a good base with plenty of attractions to fill a week, without driving too far, as we will have our elderly parents with us.We don't want much do we!! Any feedback would be gratefully received. Thanks

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

You should look at Westport in Co. Mayo. Plenty of action, good restaurants and great pubs. Better than Clifden in my opinion.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

Don't be afraid of staying in Galway city either. Even though it is technically a city, it really is more like a large town with a great atmosphere.

Its certainly a bustling place, but if you stay on the outskirts of the city it would be much quieter and still within walking distance.

There are plenty of restaurants and shops, and lots and lots of pubs!

It is a perfect base for the sights in the city and countyand it is also close enough to take a day trip around Clare to see the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher, or to go up to Mayo to Westport.

Athlone, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

Some good little spots are Lehinch in County Clare and Spiddal, which is about 12 miles west of Galway city. As the poster before me said though, don't overlook the city itself, as it is a charming enough place with a small town feel about it, great restaurants and brilliant pubs with plenty of live music. It is probably the best base you will find as well as both the east and west sides of the county are easily accessible from the city.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

if you dont want to stay in galway proper, try Spiddal - its the gateway to connemara and is a beautiful village and gaelic speaking (although everyone speaks english also). Lovely little pubs, lovely walks, drives, beaches and a mere 20 minute drive into Galway itself.

Just in the road is Bearna - another lovely village with fab seafood restaurants, a great hotel (The Twelve) with great pub food, and beautiiful beach.

Lytham St Annes
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

Many Thanks for all of your posts, we're in a right dilemma now.So many great places!! Spiddel sounds absolutely perfect, but on scouring all of the web sites for Cottages, there appears to be little choice within that area.I believe that there is a purpose built holiday village, but that is definately what we don't want! This is to be a surprise trip for my parents and we are looking for something with a bit of a wow factor. Any suggestions?

Lytham St Annes
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

OOOPS,My apologies I meant Spiddal!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

s4

try the Twelve Hotel in Bearna then - it certainly has the wow factor, and is just in the road from Spiddal and quite near town as well.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

http://www.thetwelvehotel.ie/

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

S4COP, I'm not sure Spiddal or Bearna really meet your request of "scenery, sea, and a bustling picturesque town with plenty of restaurants, shops and lively pubs".

They are villages rather than towns, and while they are beautiful places with scenery and sea, I wouldn't describe either as bustling and they really don't have plenty of restaurants or shops. Clifden is still a better option.

Lytham St Annes
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lively Towns in Galway

Hi Ms Jelly

After much research on the internet,we think that you are absolutely right and even though Spiddal looks gorgeous, we have come to the conclusion that Clifden is better suited to meet all of our requirements. Personally, I would love to travel around and stay in different locations,as there are so many places each with their own individual beauty,but that's not really practical with elderly parents (even though they aren't quite geriatric and they are a lot of fun!)

I have found an amazing house on Sky Road which I think is absolutely gorgeous, it is approx 2 miles out of Clifden, and has a real wow factor.However I have been met with opposition as everybody else seems to think that it is miles away from the sea(even though it has stunning sea views), and also that the surrounding scenery is very flat.You obviously know the area very well and your advice on this would be much appreciated. Also, although Clifden is 2 miles away, are there any shops or pubs on route to the town?, and if not what are the taxi's like in the area?

I feel really cheeky bombarding you (or anyone else with knowledge of the area,) with so many questions, but all responses will be very gratefully received.

Many thanks and regards