We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

My hubby is going to Scotland for some meetings and we decided to take a quick trip to Ireland.

We have two days in Galway and 2 days in Dublin.

We are picking up a car at the Shannon airport and here is what I have proposed - please feel free to give us some advice - we could use it!

1.Pick up car around 8:30am on Oct. 24th

2.Drive to Ennis (is this a worthwhile stop?) spend a couple of hours - lunch here?

3. Drive to see the Cliffs of Moher - spend some time here and head on up to Galway.

4. Get checked into hotel before 4pm

5. Explore the city a bit to find our first watering hole of the evening.

How is this for day 1? Any suggestions?

Day 2

1. Drive the Connemara loop (Galway-Cong-Partry-Westport-Doo Lough Valley-Leenane-Clifden-Galway)

How long would this take?

Return rental car and train to Dublin the next morning.

Day 3

1. Arrive Dublin on train around 11:15am

2. What are the must sees with our short amount of time?

Thanks so much!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,232 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

Nothing wrong with stopping in Ennis but you may want to do some research to see what specific sites are in the area to see, staying there the whole morning and lunch as well might be a bit much. I'd be tempted to carry straight on for the Cliffs and then by the time you leave there you'd be ready for lunch somewhere like Doolin or Lahinch before heading on to Galway.

Do you have reservations yet in Galway? You're arriving on a holiday weekend so I'd get that settled quickly if you haven't already.

Your Day Two drive is very busy imo. You "can" do it but it will be all day in the car without a lot of time to stop and see anything. From Galway, a trip to Cong and then around to Leenane/Clifden and back to Galway would be enough for me for one day.

You may want to check the "Things to do" tab in the Dublin forum and decide what interests you - it's hard to answer "what are the must sees" without knowing your interests.

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

Thanks for the response.

I have looked a bit for things in Ennis and I think we will just carry on and go to the Cliffs.

Regarding the drive on Day 2 - we definitely don't want to be in the car all day - so this is good to know!!

Keep those suggestions coming!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

To try and see Connemara on your time scale would be sacrilage!!

Take your 2 days and make the most of the Burren and Clare in general.

The 24/25 Oct is a Bank holiday here so book early whatever you decide.

Go to 'Search ' box to through a few queries on Clare tours and you will have a great itinary in no time. You can then go back and see what Ferdia35 will think if you post your thoughts.

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

We have made a reservation at the Forester Court hotel - some good reveiw and some just fair - hope this will be ok for our short stay.

So what do you suggest for our day 2 -

Galway to Cong - Leenane - Clifton - Galway?

How much time am I looking at for this route?

Thanks again!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

Hi bp. What you decide is really all in how you like a trip.

Here is a link for Diving tips in Ireland:http://www.iol.ie/~discover/driving.htm

I agree on skipping Ennis. County Clare is beautiful.

Here is a link for directions from the airport to the Cliffs:

www.cliffsofmoher.ie/DirectionsDetail.aspx…

Coming into Galway you can cut through and also see the Burren and Kinvarra. (Not that great of a stop but a beautiful site to see, it is where Dunguire Castle is)

Here is the link and you can reverse these directions

www.cliffsofmoher.ie/DirectionsDetail.aspx…

In planning to drive in Ireland, ALWAYS, plan for more time than it is supposed to take!!!

Recently the Cliffs redid their tourist centre and if you wanted to for sake of time, you could eat at the centre. Nothing special but it is food. Once in Galway since it is Friday there should be plenty of life until well into the morning hours. Let me know what kind of watering hole you want and I can give some suggestions.

As someone shared it is a Bank Holiday Weekend and Galway is a popular spot so expect a little bit of a crowd and some traffic during busy times (same as in the States).

To be honest, by the time you explore Cong and walk around Ashford Castle, half of your day will be gone. I would advise leaving Galway early in the morning stopping at Ross Errilly Friary in Headford. It is only a few minutes off the main road and is one of the best preserved in Ireland. Drive on into Cong. This is where "The Quiet Man" was filmed. Enter at Cong Abbey, walk up the path way along the river (not towards Ashford), Ther ou will see the Monk's Fishing House, Continue across the river and into the woods. There is an obvious trial that runs along side the river. (This isn't sketcy at all, most likely there will be lot's of other people there) follow the trail for several minutes and it will dump you out into one of the most amazing views of Ashford Castle. Explore for a little while and then walk back to Cong. Eat lunch at the Hungry Monk. Then continue on to some of your other destinations or return to Galway.

Ireland's west is not a place you wan to rush. A large part of experiencing Ireland is the atmosphere! I would really recommend returning to Galway, we have a great city centre with A WHOLE LOT!

Are you returning your car in Galway??

Dublin is a fun visit too. Can't help you with much more than frommers or lonely planet could, but you want to see Stephens Greene, High Street and Temple Bar, the Book of Kells at Trinity... Sorry, we mostly go to Dublin to shop:)

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I figured we may have a bit too much on our plate for day 2, so I am happy for the suggestions!

We are 38 and like a couple of traditional bars, where we could mingle with local and tourists alike.

We also like a pub with some music (maybe a dj) for a change as well.

Is our hotel ok, that we selected (Forester Court)?

We are renting the car in Shannon at the aiport and dropping it in the city center of Galway. Then we will train to Dublin on Sunday.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

So sorry, I know absolutely nothing about your hotel!!! The great thing about Galway is all of the bars/pubs will be full with locals and tourist. Really it will just depend on your liking. There are tons all around the Shop Street area. I would suggest just walking around and finding one that you fancy.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

re. you galway itinerary for Connemara - I like the drive you are taking, basiclly heading out to cong via headford and on through westport and back the other way through luisberg and leenane - HOWEVER cut out Clifden - it will add loads onto your journay and will send you the other way - just go Leenane, up through Maam cross then take a left at Peacocks (instead of the right for clifden) and head in by oughterard, Moycullen and straight into Galway.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

what I have suggested in quite doable in one day - its a fabulous drive and you will definitely not be disappointed - remember connemara is hugh and you don't need to try and do it all in one day.

leaving out Clifden is the best option for you.

10. Re: How is my short itinerary to Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Galway