We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Topic
Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

Should have said live performance, preferably in a pub. Thanks for any input.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

I am pretty sure that the Wolftones are retired long since. Not many places play that sort of stuff anymore, its kind of anti-social in the present climate.

Iowa
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

Actually the Wolfetones are still very much alive and well. They played in Galway this past summer at the Balck Box. To check out their concert dates, visit their website at www.wolfetonesofficialsite.com/menu.htm

Pat

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

I can assure you that the wolfe tones are still playing - yes they did play Galway recently to a packed house - check out their website for their dates. In fact there are quite a few "copy" bands calling themselves wolf tones etc so they and their music is still quite popular.

This music is still very much alive and well - after all a lot of their songs about history - you could try Monroes in Galway - they sometimes play this music. The older bars in Galway where they have music would play some of their music no problem. although the "trendy" bars where everybody looks like they came off the assembly line would probably not play it, but then again they like to think that Ireland was also a "celtic tiger" country - really laugh out loud.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

The WolfeTones are very much alive and kicking alright. They have a huge following in Dublin.

Whales might have a good idea where you may hear patriotic and historic ballads!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

Whales :You beat me to it :-)

7. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2008, 16:28
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

I'm a tomatoe. Plenty of places where rebel music can be heard in Dublin....I'm just not sure if "non Dubs" would be brave enough to cross the threshold ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
9. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2008, 16:28
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to hear rebel music in Galway (like Wolfetones)?

I'm a tomatoe. I did say "non Dub" so if Montana Frank was to dress like that then he still may not get away with it. He might just get away with it if he dresses up in a Celtic shirt or a Dublin shirt would be even better and start exclaiming loudly "Go on ya good thing!" ;-) No disrespect to native dubs meant after all I am married to one :-)

Now I know there is a pub on Talbot Street where I have heard some feisty ballads on a Saturday night but I havn't been in there for ages. I can't think of the name though it does have a snug

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland