We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

galway to dublin

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
850 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
galway to dublin

How long will the drive take to get from Galway to Dublin?

How far is Galway from the Cliffs of Moher?

If you have 3 nights to spend in one of the following areas, which area would it be:

Cork

Kerry

Dingle

Galway

Thanks for your vote.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: galway to dublin

Good questions. I would be interested in the answers to these as well as we're planning a drive from Dublin to Galway.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: galway to dublin

depending on the time you decide to drive, the drive to dublin could take between three and a half to four hour approx.

From Galway the cliffs of moher would be approx an hour.

Deciding between cork, kerry, dingle, and galway is like trying to decide between, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or mind ice cream. its hard.

but I would go for Galway - a great base for the Cliffs, aran islands, connemara, Westport, and plenty to do in Galway too.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
850 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: galway to dublin

If we stay in Galway, would it be an hour to each of those other areas or should we change hotels/b&b to spend the night in Connemara and then move for another night to see the Aran islands area?

Is there a highway from Galway to Dublin that is direct?

Is there a highway from Kerry to Dublin?

How long would that ride take to go from Kerry back to Dublin? We want to spend as much time as we can in the countryside and not in the car driving. I think I am trying to go to too many places in 10 days. We want to be based in an area for about 3-4 nights so we aren't constantly moving from inn to inn.

If you had to pick to spend 4 nights in 2 areas, where would you base? Now I am thinking Dublin to Galway for 4 nights, then down to Kerry for 4 nights. I am wondering if there is enough to do for 4 nights based in Galway and 4 nights based in Kerry. OR, should we make ourselves change hotels more than twice for the 8 nights. We know we want to spend 2 nights in Dublin as we arrive one morning and will spend the first day too tired to do much. Unfortunatley, we have to get back to Dublin to spend our last night before we fly out early the next morning so that is why I am trying to get back to Dublin on a highway route.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: galway to dublin

four nights in galway and four in kerry sound good to me.

From Galway you can drive to the burren/cliffs in about an hour.

Connemara - you can be in connemara in half hour from Galway but it is a huge area and you need to pick what route you want to take - its great.

The aran islands - bus will pick you up in Galway and drive you to the ferry in Rossaveal (barren area of connemara) and you then take the ferry over. The bus will then bring you back to Galway in the evening.

You can base yourself in Galway and do any or all of these on separate days and be back in Galway every evening.

Its a great base for all day trips and a great spot to come back to in the evening. You can stay in the one place for the four days.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
91 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: galway to dublin

I would go for Killarney, or Galway City.

Killarney - you can do a day trip around the Ring of Kerry, day in Kenmare, day up Molls Gap.

Galway - day on Aran Islands, day for Burren / Cliffs of Moher, day in Connemara.

Either option would be great.

Not that familiar with Cork.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: galway to dublin

Hi Marla,

We have just come back from our trip around Ireland. Was going to do a trip report but haven't had time. Have come back to alot of work.

We drove from Dublin to Galway and it took about 3 hours I think. Wasn't a bad drive. We then stayed a night at Galway (very nice place) and then made our way to Kenmare the next day via Cliffs of Moher. It took about 1 hour to drive to COM from Galway as well.

We decided to stay in Kenmare because Killarney was madness! There were so many people and big tourist buses everywhere. We wanted some peace and quiet and Kenmare was great for that. Part of the Ring of Kerry road between Killarney and Kenmare had great scenery esp one called Ladies View. That was FANTASTIC!

We did both the Ring of Kerry and Ring of Beare and found the Ring of Beare to be more beautiful! Weather might have had something to do with it though as when we did the ROK, it was gloomy and foggy but when we did the ROB it was all sunshine. :)

We didn't go to Cork as we didn't have time so can't comment too much about that.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

7. Re: galway to dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 05:19