We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first Day in Ireland

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
first Day in Ireland

I will be arriving in Shannon at

about 6:00 am on a Wednesday and have a car reserved through Thrifty. So, do you think is is possible to retrieve my luggage, rent the car and drive to Galway in time to make a 10:30 tour? I thought it would be a good idea to take a tour the first day as we will be too tired to drive ourselves. I don't want to waste the first day as I will only be in Galway for 2 nights.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first Day in Ireland

Lets say:

6am land (no delays)

6:30 collect bags, clear customs

6:45 complete thrifty paperwork

7:00 depart car park

7:15 join main Ennis road, having gotten lost, learned to drive on RHSide etc

8:15 pass on Ennis bypass

9:15 arrive outskirts of galway having overtaken tractors, passed thru Gort town centre etc

10:00 arrive Galway city centre (i've been in Galway recently and traffic is bad)

10:15 get lost, finally park car

10:30 arrive at tour office

Hmm, you would be shaving it close, in my opinion. I may be pessimistic with my 2hrs from airport outskirts to Galway outskirts estimate, Google maps says 56 mins, someone else can comment. Shannon is not a massive complex, you wouldn't have much delay getting from the terminal to your rental car, probably just a walk, certainly not need to wait for a shuttle.

I think I could do that trip in time myself, but I know the route and Irish roads better than you, I imagine.

Perhaps instead you could detour to Burren/Cliffs of Moher on your first day before you go to Galway. It would be about 2hrs extra driving but would save you the stress of rushing.

New England
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first Day in Ireland

Thank you Rye1967.

It certainly doesn't seem that it would be a very pleasant day if we try to make it for the tour. Perhaps we can take a walking tour of Galway City once we arrive in Galway and take a short rest.

It will take awhile to get used to driving on the right. We lived in England when my husband was in the USAF and went back to visit 3 years ago. It took us a day to get used to the right hand drive, but I think even harder is the right-side steering wheel!

If you have suggestions regarding the area, I would appreciate it. We are staying at Petra House.

Thanks Heidi

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first Day in Ireland

I'm not very familiar with Galway city as a tourist, but you could certainly walk around the centre and the quays. I think the attractions of the area are more to do with the Connemara countryside and the Aran Islands etc

Perhaps you should explain your dilemma to the tour provider and they may be able to accommodate you, or do a customised tour at a reasonable price. Perhaps you would be able to avoid driving by taking a public bus (busEireann.ie) to the Aran Islands ferry terminal at Rosaveel (1hr journey)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first Day in Ireland

I think you need to factor in jet lag. What is the time difference. Don't forget it may take your biological clock a couple of days to adjust. Take the first day easy. Don't stress out trying to make a 10.30 tour from Galway. Take your time and enjoy Ireland. There are so many small things to see and enjoy between Shannon and Galway

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first Day in Ireland

I wouldn't do it, I think it would add stress to your trip worrying if you were going to make it or not.

And does the tour company require a deposit or full payment in advance? In which case, what kind of financial risk are you taking?

While you "probably" would make it in time, it would only take a 60 minute delay on your flight, or an extra 30 minutes sorting out a problem with the car rental, to make it go "panic city".

No need to worry about "wasting" a day, there's plenty to see in and around Galway without taking a tour.

Where is the tour going? Maybe we can suggest alternative ways to see the same thing(s) later in the day.

New England
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first Day in Ireland

Wow, thank you all for your imput. I agree, it would be too much the first day to try to make a tour.

My husband and I are making our own plans so we dont' get stuck with the timing of tours or the feeling like you are being hearded like cattle.

I heard that the Aran Islands was not worth the trip. What are your thoughts? I have read on Tripadvisor some drives that include the Connemara Nathional Park, Westport Kylemore Abbey, etc. I think we will do that the second day and stay in Gallway the day we arrive.

When we leave Gallway on the third day we are planning on driving to the Cliffs of Moher and then to Killarney by way of the ferry to Tarbert.

Thanks again for all you help and anymore that you think of. Heidi

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first Day in Ireland

"I heard that the Aran Islands was not worth the trip. What are your thoughts? "

My thoughts are that I would vehemently disagree with whomever said a visit to the Aran Islands was "not worth the trip". :)

But in the case of your visit to Galway (just one "L")

only being for one full day, I'd probably not recommend a trip out there. It's a full day trip and you'll be busy enough seeing Galway City and Connemara.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first Day in Ireland

It might seem a basic point, but driving in Ireland, as in the UK, is actualy on the left. It's the steering wheel which is on the right hand side of the car.

New England
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first Day in Ireland

Sorry about my spelling., Also, you, of course, are right, driving on the left - steering wheel on right. It's the steering wheel on the right that is the hardest part for me.

Thank you for all your help We will be in Galway for atleast two full days and perhaps another 1/2 day. I will rethink the visit to the Aran Islands.

10. Re: first Day in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 23:17