We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G Hotel

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
G Hotel

I was thinking of staying at the G hotel in Galway when I go to Ireland.

I am planning on staying in Dublin for 3 nights, then staying in Galway for 3 nights, and finally the last night at the Bunratty Castle before I fly out of Shannon.

I was wondering if staying at the G hotel is a good idea given its location? I have read that it is about 15 min walk or so outside of the city proper. Is this true? Is it in an isolated location? Has anyone stayed there and been disappointed by the location or is it no big deal?

Do people go there for the hotel experience, but if you want to be in the city among the pubs, restaurants, and music, then should you stay somewhere else in or near the city?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G Hotel

I have those same questions.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G Hotel

My full review of the G is linked below but regards to location here are my thoughts.

It is located in a not very scenic area of Galway city however there is nothing wrong with it either. It's a very busy road out front and the hotel backs onto what we call here a commercial park (i.e. an area for offices, showrooms and a restaurant or two). This does not impact on your stay, it's just a bit soul-less.

We had kids with us and they enjoyed Eddie Rockets Diner which was just out the rear door of the hotel.

It is a 15 minute leisurely walk into Eyre Square, Galway. This walk is along a road with mostly housing along the way. Make sure you ask the person in reception to point out to you which road to take as there are three roads in that direction and on first attempt, I took the wrong one!

If you need a city centre hotel that you would like to drop back to with purchases or even for brief rest then the G is not for you. If however you want to explore away from the hotel for a few hours without a break, I would recommend it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186609-d548…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G Hotel

By the way - I meant to add, We paid €100 each per night sharing a room without breakfast in the G. This was too expensive even though the hotel is nice. However I notice that they are doing a lot of advertising at the moment (especially by email) where the rates are reduced, so make sure you ask for the best rate available. After all, €200 a night for a bedroom is a bit steep.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G Hotel

Hi Blue

The G hotels is definetly not the best located of the hotels in Galway, right on one of the busiest roads in Galway to the front and a commercial park at the back. Its about a 15 minute stroll in the city centre proper. It does have a cinema right beside it though and the Huntsman In right across the road which does excellent food in the restaurants - especially breakfast.

If you can some hotels in the city center itself, Park House http://www.parkhousehotel.ie on Eyre Square is a long standing hotels in Galway with a great reputation (restaurant is brillaint) or at the other end of town, the house hotel http://www.thehousehotel.ie - a newer hotel in Galway but with good reviews.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G Hotel

it depends on what you are looking for blue.

for instance if you want an shopping and complete pamper and luxery weekend (sex in the city style lol) then the G is for you - yes it is 15 - 20 minute walk into town from the hotel, you can pick the direct route in via college road down through housing estate, dog track, etc or you can take the more scenic route down by lough atalia following the water the whole way in. Do NOT do this route at night.

The G Hotel is situated on a very busy roundabout - you have the Eye Cinema next door (luxery cinema) across the road you have the Huntsman Inn (great food here).

The G Hotel is very luxerious and comfy - at night the view across is quite nice with the water all lit up.

You can cab it into town in ten minutes.

However if you want to be in the thick of things, the action, the life, the buzz, then I suggest you try out the House Hotel right on the tip of Quay Street which is probably the best street i Galway for atmosphere.

6. Re: G Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 05:28