We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

galway to killarney

california
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
galway to killarney

My husband and I will be in Ireland in Sept for our first time.

If we were in Galway and then drove to Killarney....do we go through Cliffs of Mohr on the way? I'm asking this because I thought we'd take a day tour with a tour company to the Cliffs when we were in Galway. But if once we head for Killarney we actually have to drive by the Cliffs to get to Killarney...........then I would forgoe the actual "day trip" . Am I making sense? And also......is there another way from Galway to Killarney without going through the Cliff area?

I'm assuming this trip is about 4 hours correct?

Also thinking of forgetting the car from Galway to Killarney and taking a train. If doing the drive by car is it an easy drive? Not to twisty and scary?

Thanks so much to anyone out there that can help me.

Sooner or later I will get this itinerary in order where it will make sense!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Lally Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Private Tours
Green Marble Tours
Multi-day Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Faherty Tours
Sightseeing Tours
WalkingHistory
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: galway to killarney

There have been a number of threads on this. Do a forum search for Killarney and read them all.

Galway - Ennis - Limerick - Killarney is most direct.

Cliffs of Moher is doable - but I'd allow a full day of driving/sightseeing.

Galway - Ballyvaughan - Cliffs - Ennis - Tarbert Ferry - Killarney is an option that might suits.

Use Google Maps Directions, adding in destinations, to see what it entails and to get distance and time indications. www.theaa.com also have routeplanners - hidden away a little bit as does viamichelin.

I think the Cliffs/Tarbert could be a very pleasant day and route.

I am not sure about trains. Theres no direct route between Galway and Killarney. Look at www.irishrail.ie -> more information -> routes and maps to get an overview of countrys rail network. It looks like to would go Galway -> Kildare -> change for Limerick Junction/Killarney. A bit "around the world for me".

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: galway to killarney

As has been said there have been discussions on this already,don't be setting any schedules by advised driving times in Ireland,4 hours is about right in ideal conditions but due to weather,traffic jams & road conditions it is rarely going to work out that way,be prepared for some slow motoring,having said that in my opinion driving is the way to go as it gives you so much more flexibility.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
california
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: galway to killarney

Thanks for all the great information.

We'd love to stop in Adare and see that beautiful village. Would that be doable if going from Galway to Killarney. Being near Limerick would that be on the way to Killarney? It seems like it would be to me.

How does this itinerary sould?

Arrive Dublin........Train Galway.....

Three days Galway..........

Drive to Killarney - 2 Days

(stop in Adare for look at town and lunch on way.........(hoping that's possible)

Two days Dingle

Two days Kenmare

Drive to Cork airport and depart?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: galway to killarney

Certainly the route I used took me through Limerick & Adare,the latter looked a real pretty place but was ridiculously busy(this was the end of July so hopefully it should have quietened down by September),we joined a line into Adare some way before we reached the village & continued nose to tail all the way through,obviously very popular,that is one of the reasons why driving can be very slow as anywhere worth seeing can be very congested(that & the inevitable tractor)!

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: galway to killarney

you would be better off doing a day trip to the Cliffs while you are in Galway.

Then head for Killarney - take the ferry from Clare into Kerry - its much quicker and you take out a lot of the driving.

Don't even bother thinking about getting the train to Killarney - its not worth it - you would be in New York quicker.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
california
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: galway to killarney

Car it will be then for sure.

Is the drive a fairly easy drive on easy roads?

Also you said to take the ferry as it will cut out alot of driving. Doing it with the ferry how long would you say it would take then vs doing it straight from Galway to Killarney with no ferry?

Also if we do the ferry...... would this still take us by the route of stopping in Adare for a visit for a bit?

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: galway to killarney

Easy drive on easy roads,well how easy the drive is depends on factors already mentioned,as for the roads themselves think of nothing really much narrower or twistier than parts of Highway 1,but Irish roads had been neglected for many years & while there is a huge improvement programme under way we still saw some roads that were in pretty bad shape last summer,you will also find places where you are going through small towns with narrow roads & horrendous traffic,more reasons why driving advised driving times can be rather misleading.

We always considered it worth it though,Ireland is a wonderful place.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: galway to killarney

you won't get to adare if you take the ferry - basically the ferry will cut out all the limerick side of the travel - lots of roundabouts and driving. you will drive to clare - jump on the ferry in Clare and get off in Kerry.

If you want to see adare then don't do the ferry.

Mentioned in this post
County Clare
County Clare
County Kerry
County Kerry
california
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: galway to killarney

Thanks again.

How much driving time would we save doing the Galway/Killarney ferry route vs driving straight from Galway to Killarney?Also would you say either of these drives are on faily easy roads?

Thanks once again so much.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: galway to killarney

Firstly, I know the times on google maps may be inaccurate because of traffic variations etc.

It shows Galway-Cliffs-Killimer-Tarbert-Killarney as almost 4 hours

It shows Galway-Limerick-Killarney as just over 3 hours.

So the ferry looks about 33% longer than Limerick. If Limerick is 4 hours then guess ferry at 5.5 hours plus you need to allow for stops plus waiting for ferry etc.

All in all I would allow 8-10 hours for the ferry route - cliffs, stops, waiting for ferry, etc.

I think you would avoid large towns by taking ferry and it could be much more scenic/pleasant.

Going via Limerick will be just "get in car and drive". Its not as scenic a route overall.

Depending on what else you plan in Galway going via the cliffs may be a more efficient use of your time plus a more pleasant route with more stops so less strssful.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland