We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway shops

Herts
6 posts
Save Topic
Galway shops

Hi, I am planning a surpise trip over to Galway and was wondering what kind of shops were in the area. More specifically I want to buy an old fashioned picnic hamper for a special picnic I am planning but for a number of resons will need to buy this when I arrive, is there a local shop that would sell this kind of thing? I have tried searching the internet without much luck, hope someone can help! Thanks

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway shops

When we were in Galway we decided to do a picnic in our room one night while watching a football match. We got all of our supplies from McCambridges Galway Ltd. 38 / 39 Shop Street. They have a wonderful selection of picnic type goodies, including a good wine selection.

We have McCambridges on our itinerary for our next trip for picnic goodies for our picnic at the cliffs! They do have a website that shows some of the gift baskets that can be purchased, but the store is fun to visit, I found it to be more of a gourmet grocer.

www.mccambridges.com

Enjoy!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway shops

yes, mccambridges is a lovely shop and it has rcently been renovated - they now have a lovely coffee bar inside (and outside for the smokers), they have a lovely organic ice cream counter - an olive counter and of course all the old favourite - specialty items, they have a sandwich counter, a pie and cooked food counter now as well, as well as the lovely wine selection. It's great.

Another place you might want to try is Mortons in Lower Salthill - (about 15 minute walk from town) they also do specialty foods and have a bakery.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway shops

also, if you happen to be in town on a saturday morning check out the saturday market - you can pick up some great cheeses and olives etc at this market - they sell everything

for specialty cheeses check out sheridans cheesemongers right at St .Nicholas church in town.

Herts
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway shops

Thanks for the tips! I have got in contact with mccambridges and they have been really helpful, it sounds like they have exactly what I need which is a big relief, really appreciate all your help.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway shops

Bon appetit!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway shops

Is there a Marks & Spencers? Just wondering if I should stock up in Dublin or if I can wait to our last stop before heading home? Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway shops

There is an M&S but its smaller and does not carry the complete range. It depends what you are looking for.

It might have it but it might not.

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway shops

Forget the mass produce of M and S and trust earlier comments about saturday markets etc.Cgeck out the local produce and home grown produce.

You will not look back.

leave the M and S until you are home and have no other choice would be my advice

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway shops

We don't have M&S in Toronto, Canada. My mom (originally from Newcastle, UK) would love a care package of candies and walnut whips. And I would like some wine gums.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway shops

Also... does anyone know of an M&S Outlet store any where in Ireland? I had friends just return from Edinburgh and they shopped at an Outlet there.

Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations