We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B in Galway city

NY, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
B&B in Galway city

I will be traveling to Galway city by myself in november. I have read that B&B's are the way to go. Petra House keeps coming up as the best place to stay but I can't seem to get in touch with them by email- does anyone have any ideas?

If anyone can suggest another B&B in the same area that would be helpful as well!

Thanks!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B in Galway city

You should probably just call them on +353 91 566580

The location you picked is perfect though and the street itself abounds with purpose built guest houses.

Personally I would prefer http://www.ashfordmanor.ie/ as it is a close match to a hotel but without the hotel prices.

Ring them or e-mail them for their best prices. Occupancy levels are low at the moment so you should be able to beat out a good deal better than any advertised rate.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B in Galway city

We just stayed at Prague House B&B - it was great! I would highly recommend it.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B in Galway city

its not the most convenient if you want to be near the town - its on a road with tens of other bed and breakfasts but I would not walk up there at night time really.

Why not try Adara guest house - its a great place and only five minutes walk from the town.

Abroad
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B in Galway city

What do you mean by not being safe to walk around at nighttime?

Adare guesthouse is only 95 mtr. away from prague house.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B in Galway city

I was talking about PETRA house in college road, not prague house - I know prague house is beside Adare Guesthouse which is extremely convenient - Petra house is on college road and it is quite a walk compared to Adare Guesthouse - you have to walk through the town, up through Eyre Square, up foster street, up past the Galway City Council before you get to College Road - I wouldn't fancy doing this at night time. It will take about 15 minutes at least.

Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B in Galway city

I would recommend St Judes guest house, but its 20 minutes walk the other direction towards Salthill..I have stayed there myself. It is safe to walk to College Road, and anywhere else around the centre of the city.

http://www.st-judes.com/asp/section.asp?s=1

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,232 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B in Galway city

Aw c'mon Whales, you make it sound like College Road is in Tuam! :)

It's an easy enough walk, there are a lot of good B&B properties on the road, and I've walked it many times at all hours with no problems whatsoever.

Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B in Galway city

Would also recommend St Martins Nun's Island - very central and friendly..would not be as new as some of the others, but very popular on Tripadvisor and it looks nice in the flesh. When I said its safe to walk in Galway, I mean within reason, and with usual care and attention. Tel: 091 568286.

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B in Galway city

We just stayed at Prague House last weekend and it was great. Only five to ten minute walk from town. The only thing we weren't too crazy about was the breakfast room was very small but still a very nice room looking out on the street.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B in Galway city

to be honest, I don't think anywhere is completely safe anymore in Ireland - I would not walk up to College road after a night in the pub - I would get a cab - yes it might be only 15 minutes - 20 minutes walk but I would not come on here to say it is "safe" to walk there - I have walked everywhere in Galway and all times of day and night also, but now I will not walk home by myself after a night out - I always would get a cab.

We all know how "unsafe" it can be now in Galway and everywere else and I don't want the responsibility of telling somebody that at 15 - 20 minute walk at night it is reasonable and safe - the fact is, that it is not. Especially walking through the town, up past Eyre Square (on a weekend night???) and on up foster street.

Get answers to your questions about Galway