We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be mad

Liverpool
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be mad

I can get a great price on Ryanair tickets for January to be able to go to Galway for a few days. Would I be mad to do it. We have been to Galway over 6 times and I realise that it will be cold wet etc. Would it be very quiet there ?

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it be mad

If you have the time off and as you already have been to Galway frequently this would indicate that you enjoy it. Therefore I would say - go for it - who knows how long cheap flights are going to be around. I would imagine things will be cosy round that time of year and if you get a day with some winter sun - well then standing on a beach in Connemara absorbing this blast of sheer wonderfulness will not be matched.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it be mad

I wouldn't think it would be too quiet. Galway is one of those cities that is busy all year around.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it be mad

There are more options than Galway flying into Shannon, not that there is anything wrong with Galway. I am assuming the possibility of not hiring a car,so how about Limerick or Killarney as a base. Or for the same price on the plane (currently "Free" £0.01) fly into Cork and use there as a base for trips out to Cobh or Kinsale. The county is yours to explore ;-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would it be mad

Correction on the price offer is only till17th Dec, But the "free" or at least a £5 offer for Jan will come soon.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it be mad

englishjuls, Galway is NEVER quiet. Of course it will be a bit quieter than in summer but so what?! It's not certain that it will be cold and wet. It might be but then again you might have lovely weather. If you can get a good price for the flight then why not take the opportunity to go for a few days?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would it be mad

Thank you all, the deal is with Ryanair going into Shannon , they are paying the taxes so its only £14 return and the flight times are good as well. I think there would nothing nicer than a walk along the bay to Salthill

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would it be mad

I walked along Salthill today, it was windy and there was a light mist. Magical!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would it be mad

go for it - Galway is lovely that time - okay it might rain, but I'm sure it rains in liverpool too so you will be well used to it - you will see Galway in its natural stage (not a lot of tourists) and the pubs are all lovely and cosy with fires on in case you get a little chill. It will not be quiet - the January sales will be on, and people will be all over, and will still be lit up with Xmas lights at the beginnign of Jan. I think you should go for it.

by the way, the Crane Bar, (best bar in Galway) is always much nicer in the winter than the summer - more cosy, more singing, more space too - esp. sunday afternoons.

Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would it be mad

No, would not be mad, and you should get great deals on hotel accomodation - e.g. The G Hotel prices come way down off peak. Also check out Townhall Theatre for whats on, a play or music perhaps. Restaurants should have more good deals then also.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would it be mad

speaking of magical......anyone see the skies over Salthill Galway Bay yesterday evening about 5 p.m. Never saw so many colours - pink, orange, green, yellow, aqua, black, grey, white - it was fabulous

Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations