We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Restaurants

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
179 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Galway Restaurants

Hello -

Will be in Galway 01 Mar - 04 Mar and staying at Jurys Inn. Does anyone know any good restaurants within walking distace. Any type food (preferebly at a good price too would be nice) will do, just good recommendations.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Rob

Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Restaurants

Mc Donaghs

A stones throw from Jurys Inn, to your left is Mc Donaghs - this is a Galway institution and it's famous for its fish and chips (it has a formal restaurant also), but I would not bother with that...you must try fish, chips and mushy peas (or curry sauce on your chips! sounds odd but rather nice). This is a very filling meal..you sit at benches, so is not for a leisurely meal.

Da Tang Noodle House 2 Middle Street

Five minutes walk from Jury's - you may need to ask directions

Best noodles and northern Chinese food - laid back atmosphere..small restaurant

Artisan

Nice restaurant above Neaghtain's pub - to your left up from Jurys - you must pop into Neaghtains for music, and best old pub atmosphere.

Goyas

Around the corner from Jury's in Kirwans Lane is Goyas - highly recommended for afternoon coffee and cake, or even lunch

Sony's Bar

(also known as the Front Door) just up to your left from Jurys on Quay Street has the best seafood chowder in town - have chowder, chips and a pint of the black stuff (Guinness!).

Sheridans on the Docks

Nice atmosphere, great cheese and meat platters to have in the pub, casseroles and soups. Upstairs very good restaurant...look out for early bird specials. Good wine list.

Art Bia at Nimmos

A bit more 'avant garde' and expensive, but nice atmosphere.

Acorss from Jurys in Spanish Arch

Kashmir Indian Restaurant

A stones throw to your right across the river from Jurys.

Nice filling Indian food - can be expensive so choose wisely.

Have a super time in Galway....

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Restaurants

you are in the heart of the restaurant area in Galway - all those mentioned are within seconds or minutes of jurys. You might want to try monroes - a three minute walk to your right over the bridge. Great breakfasts, hearty meals at a fraction of the cost of town (town being Quay Street where you are situated). Be hungry - they do great pizza's too.

Also Milanos just off cross street - pizza's and italian - very popular.

If you head off for a few drinks and night and get peckish around midnight then you have to have a chicken kebab with all the dressings - go to the one in Dominick street up the road from monroes -- don't go to the charcoal grill on cross street - although authentic, they are not a patch on the kebab house in dominick street - always a good end to a good night. ;-)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Restaurants

I'd recommend Sheridan's

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Restaurants

which sheridans is that soonas? There are two.

If it is sheridan's on the docks then I recommend you check out the menu before you go there or think about going there - its not the run of the mill menu

if it is sheridans on Clybaun then this is very good pub food but its not in town.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway Restaurants

I was referring to Sheridan's on the Docks. I am not familiar with the other one.

http://www.sheridansonthedocks.com/node/2

I think the food is superb, with top quality ingredients (Seamus Sheridan is very particular on sourcing his produce); innovatively cooked and reasonably priced for this standard. The early bird menu is particularly good value.

Eating out is very subjective and this is just my recommendation

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway Restaurants

My son is a student in Galway. Students swear by O Riordans on Quay St for plain, hearty meals. I've been there a few times. It's not fancy but for reasonable, filling meals it's great.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
179 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway Restaurants

Thanks everybody - as usual always a help!!

Can't wait to get to Galway (4 more days!!)

Rob

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway Restaurants

Have to agree with Soonas, if you spend a little more and have one good meal out in Galway make it Sheridans on the Docks, simply superb and the early bird menu is awesome.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway Restaurants

soonas

sheridans is a pub on the Clybaun road.

I just recommended that USA check the sheridans on the docks menu before deciding to eat there - they have some unusual choices and they may not suit.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway Restaurants

http://www.sheridansonthedocks.com/node/2

here is an example of their menu - if it suits you great, but I just think this place is not for everyone and to check it before deciding to eat there - not a lot of people would be rushing to get at the sweetbreads or dillisk.

Get answers to your questions about Galway