We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

new york
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

does anyone have a suggestion on which hotel to stay in - there is a lot of infor on both - very confused. Is one closer to town then the other.

Abroad
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

The Harbor Hotel is in the city center.

The Galway Bay hotel approx. 3 KM out of

the city center.

The Galway Bay Hotel is by far the nicer one.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

the harbour hotel is at the docks in galway - you are right in town.

the galway bay hotel is a little further out - right in Salthill - overlooking the prom - it would be a bit more luxurious than the harbour hotel - its on a bus run as it would be about a mile or so out of town, but the walk into town is lovely and would take you about twenty minutes to half hour.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

My aunt and uncle stayed in the Galway Bay hotel recently and loved it.

The setting is gorgeous with lovely views of Galway Bay

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
407 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

We stayed at the Galway Bay Hotel for 4 nights and while it was nice and their breakfast buffet was lovely, we thought it was too far from the city centre. We only walked in and out of town once while there and chose to do taxis the rest of the time (save once when we drove). Parking is horribly expensive. For me, unless the Harbor Hotel is really bad, I'd stay there. The Galway Bay was nice, but I will stay in the city centre next time.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

hi cardinals,

I know being from the USA that you might think that walk is extremely long for you as you probably drive everywhere, but for us here its not a long walk and what makes it better is that you walk all along Galway Bay the whole way in, and on into the Claddagh, past the biggest congregation of swans in Ireland and on into the Spanish Arch. It's beautiful.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

The Galway Bay is definitely the nicer of the two but i suppose for ease of access and to be closer to everything in town then the Harbour would win out. Depends whether you want to be closer to town or not.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
407 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

Whales - True point. Perspective depends also, on time of year. We were there in cold, damp, rainy November and I had somewhat of a bum knee at the time. Of course, that colored my perception. But for me, I still would have preferred to have stayed closer in to where the action and nightlife were. The view was lovely and walking along the promenande when it wasn't pouring rain was wonderful.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

LOL cardinals. I think we are so used to the rain here that we don't even notice anymore. ;-)

9. Re: Galway Bay or Harbor hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Galway