We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

Hey there,

Heading over in two weeks and would like to spend 2/3 days in Galway with an overnight on Inishmor.

1) We're renting a car so need to consider where to leave the car in Galway for taking the ferry over - any recommendations?

2) For the overnight on the Islands, I've read mixed reviews of great accomodations with crappy staff attitudes/not friendly and vice versa - does anyone have any first hand experience of managing to get both good accomdations AND friendly service? A couple of nice to haves would also be walking distance to a couple of good pubs for the night we're there and if you could wake up to hear the ocean before a nice breakfast that would be a really nice nice to have!! All feedback, including how greedy I am for expecting so much is appreciated!!

3) Do we need to visit both islands? I'm happy with just doing one as I'll be back again. If we do only Inishmor how long to a) cycle around or b) walk around and should we bring a packed lunch with us over from Galway or can get something on the islands to put together at a reasonable price?

4) How much should we expect to pay for decent accomodations with my outrageous preferences (lol!) and the ferry and overnight parking, and if we decide to go super cheap on the accomodations what could I expect to pay then? Just trying to decide if the overnight is worth it with all costs built in or should we just do a day and get back to Galway?

Asking a lot, I know but I'm confident someone has the answers!!

Thanks,

Snow.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

The Co. Galway ferry departure point for the islands is from Ros a' Mhíl / Rossaveal which is about 30-40 drive out from the city in a northerly direction - you can easily park up the car at the car park there which used to be free but we think is now chargeable? Alternatively you can leave the car at your accommodation in Galway and get the shuttle bus for a little extra although we'd imagine the cheaper option would be to drive to Rossaveal. All the details of sailings and prices, including the shuttle, accommodation packages and bike hire can be found here:

http://www.aranislandferries.com/

Have a look at this website for more information regarding some of your other points - there are actually three islands to choose from for example ;-)

http://www.aranisland.info/

None of the islands are particularly huge and you'll easily be able to wake up with the sound/sight of the sea on any of them. Cycling around Inishmore takes the best part of half a day or more and walking would take a lot longer...

london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

Thanks Ragoora!

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for something a bit romantic for the overnight portion - I was thinking Inis Mor for Dun Aengus as that would be my big interest, but the boyfriend is looking for romantic cliffs, local pub with chatty but sarcastic loclas and lonely scenery stuff.

Is there any point in exploring flying over and ferrying it back? I know they depart two different places but I figured I'd ask if it could be done.

I'm going to look at both the flying and ferries to see what package options they have for overnight, I'll be back with more questions shortly I'm sure ; -)

Edited: 01 June 2010, 19:02
Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

There are three Aran Islands - Inis Mor, Inis Meain and Inisheer. My favourite is Inis Meain, very romantic, not touristy, and only one pub so you won't argue over that one! Scenic cliff walks, and prehistoric monuments also, though not as impressive as Dun Aenghus. There is superb accomodation in Inis Meain Suites, but you can have to book for 2 nights. I have stayed at An Dun, and its a very nice, clean B&B, with nice food. You can eat at the Inis Meain restaurant attached to the Suites. On Inis Mor the main hotel appears to be Aran Island Hotel. You will have to expect shortfalls in service and often food on most island venues. There will be plenty of pubs within walking distance of most accomodation. If you are going to fly you may as well get return ticket, better value and much faster! Enjoy.

london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

Thanks for the suggestion but can't stay the two nights unfortunately. Is Inis Mor not worth it do you think?

I know it's lame but I love that last scene in that movie Leap Year (yes I know the movie is totally wrong) and I guess it was filmed near Dun Aengus so I thought I'd get my history fix on while the BF had some nice scenery to look at.

Hmm.

I have found a couple of offers of flight and BB or ferry and BB to get over - any advice on the places they fix you up with that people know of? I've emailed and waiting to hear back. toe tap.

london, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

Just wondering if anyone has used the ferry/plane + BB deals and if so would you recommend and do you know the names of the B&Bs they hook you up with?

6. Re: Galway with perhaps an overnight on Inishmor-help me decide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 06:30