We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August cruinniu na mbad & connamara pony show

NewJersey
7 posts
Save Topic
August cruinniu na mbad & connamara pony show

We will be staying a few days in Galway and would like to do a day trip out of the city. During our August dates Clifden is having the Connamara Pony show and Kinvara is having Cruinniu na mBad festival. We hope to attend both, but Can I get some opinions on these, just in case, we are only able to choose one trip.

thanks for your help.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August cruinniu na mbad & connamara pony show

The Cruinniu na mBad can be hit or miss depending on the weather.

It used to attract huge crowds in the 80's when it used to be huge drinking fest and no doubt the odd buidéal was brought across in the boats from Connemara ;-)

It is certainly worth a quick spin from Galway City if you are staying there.

Friday afternoon can be a good time as this is when the boats arrive from Connemara with the turf on board. There are usually curragh rowing competitions on the Sunday afternoon.

There is a also a farmers market in Kinvara on Friday.

www.kinvara.com/farmersmarket/index.html

Over the weekend there are nice photo opportunities of the different traditional boats in Kinvara Bay . There should be local art exhibitions on and some singing competitions.

Connolly's pub will have trad sessions but can be extremely busy!

http://www.connollyskinvara.com/

I hasten to add the main attraction is the boats so the festival itself may be disappointing!

I have never had a chance to go the Connemara Pony Show but it's also supposed to be very good!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August cruinniu na mbad & connamara pony show

Kinvara 2009 program www.kinvara.com/cruinniu/programme_09.pdf Pictures from 2008 kinvara.com/tquinn/…cruinniu_08.html The better the weather the better the show but there will still be crowds in the rain (we are used to it). I haven't been able to make the Pony show for the last couple of years but it should be of great interest to the Equestrian fraternity http://www.cpbs.ie/.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August cruinniu na mbad & connamara pony show

if the weather is nice then definitely head for Kinvara - you will have a rare chance to see the beautiful galway hookers (boats, not people) in full sail on the water - beautiful sight. They will have a stage in the centre of the village with music, dancing, some little stalls, and a bit of atmosphere. It is not the big attraction it was in the 80's and early 90's when the place was thronged with music in every pub, but it is still a good day out providing the weather is nice. The sight of the hookers is amazing and not to be missed if you can help it.

Clifden pony show will have some atmosphere also - again I have not been to it but Clifden is a nice town and Im sure you will enjoy it.

If you have blue skies, and a nice day definitely head to Kinvara. Its a picture postcard village and not too far out of Galway.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 11:25
4. Re: August cruinniu na mbad & connamara pony show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 06:17