We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

I lived in Galway for quite some time... taking a 9day/9 night trip start and finish in Dublin... Never done an actual road trip before..

Please someone let me know if this is OK..

Arrive at 6am (Yes, I know about jetlag but I fly internationally all the time and this trip doesn't affect me at all) - Rental car pickup and drive to Longford to stay w/ friends... Possible detour to Newgrange on the way to Longford - I know it's just 90 minutes or so.

Day 2 - Galway (2 nights - sightseeing, short road trips to connemara or aran islands...depends on other travelers needs)

Day 4 midday - Galway to either Dingle or Killarney (This day will be a Monday...FYI) - Evening in either Dingle or Killarney

*** This is where I am torn... Do I spend 2 nights in Dingle or 2 nights in Killarney? We are thinking of doing a horseback ride ...

Should we do 3 nights down there? 2 in Killarney and 1 in Dingle?

I want to be back in Galway on either Thurs or Fri for 1 last night and then drive to Dublin Saturday for a day of sightseeing.

I just don't know if it's too much driving. We can get up quite early and go - Also not sure about visiting Dublin w/ a rental car. I know it's hard to park there....

Please let me know what you think! Suggestions appreciated!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

What time of the year?Have you driven much in Ireland?Do you want to do a trail ride or just a ride-out?Doubling back to Galway makes no sense, to be honest, jst adding more miles to an already packed trip.

Edited: 02 January 2011, 21:54
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

I have driven there quite a bit. I'm comfortable with the roads.

We'll be there at the end of Feb/early March

I will be going back to Galway because I have a lot of friends there. I'd like to spend Friday night out with them.

We basically have between Monday, Feb 28 and Friday, March 4 open.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

Try to give yourself more time in Dublin. It's pretty chaotic there. Other than that, you look like you'll be pretty good to go! It's definitely better to spend 2+ nights in a few places rather than trying to cram too much in, so kudos for that. Stay on the Dingle! That place is really cool, and give yourself more chances to catch it on a day with nice weather and maybe some sun. It's really a splendor. I liked Killarney, but it's just another nice town that you can find anywhere, and very touristy. And I just have to say I'm jealous about you being immune to jetlag. That royally messed me up when I went to Ireland, lol.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

I never suggest a lot of driving from the airport on day 1. Nothing to do with jetlag, it is not a question of your ability to deal with different time zones, but of having a full day after 3 hours sleep on a plane from the East coast of the US. Personally I would not like to get up at 2am and do a lot of driving, even if I was in my own bed and own car.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

Dingle can be very quiet at that time of year, doesn't bother me, but you might find it a bit too quiet.

6. Re: Driving - Anyone think this is too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 07:29