We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on area to stay

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on area to stay

We are family of four and have 3 nights to spend somewhere besides Dublin (2nights in Dublin). We were looking at the Galway area. We were thinking of renting a car in Dublin when we arrive at the airport and taking off from there to arrive in Galway area later afternoon. We are in need of advice on nice places to stay and things to see. We like the outdoors - beach/hiking etc. My husband was wondering about staying in a castle? Don't know if there is a central place for us to stay all 3 nights or if we would be better off moving from hotel to hotel each night to see more. Unfortunately, it appears that we didn't plan enough time to see everything!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
236 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on area to stay

Hi, PK,

A couple of questions: when (which season) are you planning on traveling? Are you four adults or two adults and two little uns? Are you flying in and out of Dublin? 2 nights in Dublin, 3 nights somewhere else, and then back to Dublin to depart?

If you all like outdoors, I would highly recommend the Wicklow Mountains. It is a stunning area, diverse enough (mountains, beaches), and very close to Dublin. It contrasts nicely with the urban experience of Dublin.

If you have your heart set on Galway, the Connemara National Park was a lovely hike and a beautiful drive to get there. Lots to see and do over on the west coast, too. But I don't know if you want to do the 4+ hour drive twice in three days. Definitely doable, but it depends on how you wish to spend your time.

Here's the link to our trip summary, with details of what we did and where we stayed in Wicklow and Galway, if you are interested or think it may be of assistance: http://www.pixelshelf.com/~underhill/ireland/index.htm

Regardless of the location you choose, with such a short time, I would recommend to pick one hotel/B&B and radiate out from it. Save on time and energy.

Good luck and let us know where your thoughts are. :-)

California
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on area to stay

Thanks KimmerU -

We are 2 adults 2 kids 14 & 17 - We fly in and out of Dublin. Arriving on a Sunday mid day and flying out Fri a.m. - We wanted to stay longer but were at the mercy of our frequent fliers. This will be the end of our 2 weeks trip to Europe. I had thought about the wicklow mts. but felt it was too close to Dublin and wanted to see more - we are used to driving 3+ hours for a weekend trip to the mts. when we are at home - I had heard that the Galway area was a nice area to see, but am open to other suggestions. I think what we are looking for is some sight seeing - relaxing - going to a pub - being outdoors (we love the ocean) etc. low key - I don't want to get home and not remember where the pictures we took are from!! This is the most confusing part of our whole trip since we can really only pick one other place to see! Any input would be great!

California
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on area to stay

Oops - I forgot to say that we will be there in July 06!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on area to stay

You should go to Galway. Eyre Square will be fonoshed by then. Galway is a great city with lots to do and see from the city you can travel to the Burren, to the Cliffs of Mohair, to Dungaire Castle (you can go to a medival banquet there) Any hotel in and around Galway city is a perfect base for sightseeing. I'd particularly recommend hotels outside the city centre - they're quieter and tend to be cheaper than those in the city centre

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on area to stay

I agree with Andi, Galway is a good spot for a 2 night visit. + i would stay on the outskirts of the city or even SALTHILL which is only a couple of miles for the city centre. July 06' would hopefully have the weather too.

Andi, are you sure Eyre Sq will be finished by then? The channel tunnel might be faster to build.

Whats the sign over McDonalds say again??

Ryano./

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
236 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on area to stay

[hmmm...site's a little whacky this a.m. and my post got disolved...Trying again.]

Hi, PK,

The Galway area would be a lovely area for a 2-day visit for all the reasons just mentioned - You will not mistake where your Burren or Cliffs of Moher pictures were taken :-) Stunning.

Stay in one place - and if possible stay within walking distance of Galway City. You may spend the day driving and seeing surrounding sites (Connemara, Sky Road, Burren, etc) but after you land back at the B&B and freshen up, it may be very nice to stroll into the center, have dinner, poke around, and then stroll back.

Regarding the Wicklow Mountains: it feels about as far from Dublin as you could possibly imagine, but it is more of a rustic, quiet, nature-based visit, and I believe you would find more to do in Galway's surrounding area. Let us know how your plans progress.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on area to stay

Hey kimmer. Great to see you pop in to say hello once in awhile. I see you're using a pic from Ireland. Larry's favorite, as I recall. PK-check out her site, a hall of famer. With that little time, I'd stay either East Coast or West Coast. Any chance you could use Shannon Airport instead? I also prefer The West, but The East, including historical Dublin and Meath and scenic Wicklow, does have it's merits. Whatever you decide will be great. Cheers.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
236 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on area to stay

Ah, Boru, you are, as ever, so observant. Yup. It was Larry's favorite picture of me in Ireland, so I thought it would work here (plus all the other pictures of me with the Guiness are blurry -- can't imagine why). :-)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on area to stay

PKTravels, the Wicklow Mountains may be close to Dublin in geography but they are hundreds of miles away in mind! You say you like the outdoors, so there you are! Do a search for Glendalough in the search bar, you'll get some information (and KimmerU's web site with her lovely report).

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on area to stay

Well they reckon Eyre Square will be finished by March so in Irish time that means it Should be finished by June/July (fingers crossed)

Get answers to your questions about Galway