We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I will be visiting Galway end of May, and wondered if there were any gay pubs to check out. The only info on here is 5 years old, and we can't find anything online.

Thanks for any tips!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

have you checked this site

http://www.edenexperience.com/index.htm

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

galwaycitypubguide.com/all-pubs/the-stage-do…

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

you have Wildes and The Galway Shawl, based on location id imagine wildes would be the better one.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

there are lots of pubs in Galway that gay people would favour - overall the pubs are a mixture of both straight and gay but you should check out

ti neachtains

stage door (now known as muddy mahers)

wildes - this is just newly opened

but don't limit yourself to these - there are plenty of great pubs in Galway and nobody really cares if you are gay or straight.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

thanks for the info! I've heard that the pubs are all pretty gay friendly - and we're looking forward to the trip!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

you will find most all pubs in ireland are friendly...why would they care if you are gay?....are you going to do something outrageous that will shout look at us, we're GAY?......or do the two of you just feel uncomfortable with straights?.....

you will be treated well anywhere you go in ireland.....

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

As a matter of interest, what exactly does the term 'gay friendly' mean? I have heard the term for years but never really thought about it. What would make a pub gay friendly? Or not!

Edited: 11 April 2011, 19:05
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

Ha ha! No we aren't looking to make-out, or protest or anything outrageous. Although, after a few pints, I can't make any promises!

Of course everything we hear about Ireland and Galway is really quite welcoming, gay or otherwise!

But experience, here in NYC and elsewhere, shows that even small gestures can provoke people who have issues with gays. I think when traveling, knowing if/where the gay spots are helps get your bearings straight (pun intended!). Sort of instant camaraderie.

And the phrase "gay-friendly" relates to that. Gay friendly means the hotel staff won't cringe at two men sharing a hotel room (and one bed), or a pub where two men (or women) can show affection for each other and not get nasty stares, or worse. And if they do, the pub staff rises to their defense, rather than ignoring it, or joining in. A gay friendly city is a place where two men can hold hands while taking in the sites and enjoying the views.

I hope this isn't too long winded! Thanks again for all the suggestions! We're really looking forward to our trip!

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

As for showing affection in a pub,,,,

my beloved woman and I follow a simple 'rule'

never in public , never in front of a crowd......

save it for the bedroom !!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay/ Gay friendly pubs?

Thanks for that explanation morestuff. My Kerry friend makes a good point and indicates a good philosophy. I have enjoyed some good nights with gay friends in pubs in Christopher St in the Village and along Oxford St in Sydney so please understand I am on your side and believe we should live and let live Public displays of affection may draw attention to you both, as might holding hands in public. Galway is a very tolerant city, with the University etc. However, there is always the chance of meeting loutish behaviour, drunken or otherwise. Having said that, my son spent five years there without any hassle and he and I walked through the centre of Galway at all hours of the day and night. I am sure you will have a fantastic time here but, with the greatest respect, be discrete. ( As Oscar Wilde's mother said: Do what you like so long as it doesn't frighten the horses on the street!).

Get answers to your questions about Galway