We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Galway

kansas city, MO
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Galway

We will be staying 2 nights in Galway in September. Could you tell me where is the best area of the city to stay? I had been told to stay in Salthill area, but seems it is quite a ways from the city center. Are there pubs, music, shopping, etc. in the Salthill area, or will we need to go to the city center for that? We will have a car, but would prefer public transportation if it is available - taxi, etc., as someone said parking was a problem. Thanks for your help!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Galway

Hi Patsy

Salthill is only a 10 minute drive / 30minute walk from the city center so its very close if you choose to stay there. It has a few restaurant and bars but if you want shopping and more live music, the city centre has more choice.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Galway

Parking in Galway centre is a problem but if you opt for a B&B just out from town or a Hotel with parking then that's not a problem. There are bus's from parts of Salthill into the city but you would need a taxi to get back late at night.

http://www.enjoyfreetoday.com/

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Galway

If you're looking at b&bs, search the Grattan Park area, closer walk to town than Salthill and parking available.

Seattle
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Galway

I ended up choosing Salthill because I didn't want to deal with driving/parking in Galway. Knowing there were frequent buses to Salthill sealed the deal for me.

Plus, Salthill just sounded lovely.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Galway

Corianderstem,

We stayed out in Salthill in '09, and used the bus and cabs to get into the city and back. Also we could take day tours right from our B & B.

Check out the Corrib Princess-- our host told us about the cruise up the River Corrib into Lough Corrib, and it was a highlight of our time in Galway-- the boat leaves from the city itself....Lovely walk getting to it.

Where are you staying in Salthill? We ate at Lohan's and at the Galway Golf Club for a late lunch.

Ellen

Mentioned in this post
Galway Golf Club
Galway Golf Club
75 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Galway

Oops. Sorry I didn't realize that Patsy ws the original poster, and that I was actually ansering her. Ellen

St. Louis, Mo.
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Galway

We spent three nights at the Park House Hotel last October and really enjoyed. Staff were friendly and helpful, and we were able to valet park our car during our stay. Right in the center of the city too!

Mentioned in this post
Park House Hotel
Park House Hotel
2,978 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Seattle
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Galway

I'm staying at Marless House in Salthill. Can't wait to go - it's going to be a long five months of waiting. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Galway

Corianderstem, looks like a great B & B, and a super location!

Ellen

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
336 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Galway

The OP didn't specify B+B or hotel, but from my experience the Park House Hotel is a fantastic value. The great staff, excellent restaurant and valet parking. We stayed there in October '09 and are staying there again this year.

Mentioned in this post
Park House Hotel
Park House Hotel
2,978 Reviews
Galway, Ireland