We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooners....on a budget

Grand Rapids, MN
Level Contributor
334 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymooners....on a budget

We are young honeymooners and are excited to visit Galway. We will not have a car -- will train in and train out. We will arrive August 26 for three days. We are looking at no more than $150/night. Are there any nice apartments/cottages/hotels for this price? Is salthill a good area? Lastly, are there good tours to take to surrounding sites w/o our own transcportation?

Thanks...in advance.

Epic Ireland
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Galway Tour Company
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Wild Atlantic Way Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Level Contributor
149 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

Suggest day trip to Aran Islands http://www.aranislandferries.com/

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

Hi chandler

Salthill is a lovely area.. plenty shops and pubs.. Italian and Chinese restaurants.. excellent choice.. 25/30min walking from Town

The walk on the Salthill Prom from the tower in Blackrock (end of prom, Salthill side) into town is fantastic... Blackrock tower:

Apt in Salthill

I did use for relatives visiting from Italy.. very nice

A couple of good Tour Company

If you need anything else, just ask!

Edited: 20 July 2011, 08:55
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

If it was my choice i would stay in the city centre and then go out to Salthill on the bus a couple of times. More to and see in the centre.

House Hotel would be a good choice.

Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

There are dozens upon dozens of B&Bs just outside the city center, only a 5-10 min. cab/bus ride in. I didn't stay in any Galway B&Bs, but my travel buddy and I never came across a B&B throughout the island that cost more than $60/night, at the most (average was 30-35 Euros). Consult a currency converter before you go. I highly doubt you'll ever hit the $150 mark.

I agree that an Aran Islands tour would be a great choice for your honeymoon. The tour I went on was, if I remember correctly, 20-25 Euros, and the company buses you to and from the ferry. Any local would be able to direct you to a tour office. The islands are lovely, as well. You can go on a horse-drawn carriage ride around the island, which has the most beautiful scenery.

Galway City is a lot of fun, too. A very "happening" area, but very safe. Try and find The King's Head pub, that was a favorite of mine. That entire area is full of lots of shopping too, and there are several great cafes around. You'll never be bored.

Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

If you are travelling by train, Saturday travel in August is half price

Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

Hi Honeymooners - I am not sure you will be able to source an appartment for a weekend at peak season, so I suggest you do research via Tripadivsor into the best B&Bs..which for your budget of €100 a night should be OK..though the better ones are working out at 55-65 each a night. Some hotels offer rooms for €99 but again its a weekend, so see how you get on, again Tripadvisor can compare the online sites like hotels.com etc. Staying either central or Salhill is fine. Day trips will run from the centre. If you wanted you could spend a very romantic night on one of the Aran Islands (my favourite is Inis Meain, stay at An Dun and book lunch at the lovely Inis Meain Suites and Restaurant!). The ferry costs €25 and buses run from the city centre. Check weather forecast before you decide on the islands! Otherwise a bus trip to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher is also nice. If you are on a budget there is some good pub grub in the city , e.g. The Front Door and The Dail Bar. Da Tang Noodle is a great chinese restaurant, and Monroes Tarvern serves pizza and live music! Enjoy.

7. Re: Honeymooners....on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 06:16