We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football on TV

Hershey...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Football on TV

A group of Penn State fans will be over in Galway this weekend and are wondering if it will be possible to catch the game on TV in a pub? We're guessing not, but thought it's worth a try!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football on TV

I suspect that it's highly unlikely - American football is of very limited interest in Ireland with most interest being in Gaelic football & hurling, rugby and soccer.

This coming weekend, any pubs in Galway which have sport on TV will probably be focussing on the Rugby Word Cup which kicks off in New Zealand in a few days time and on the usual weekend offering of English Premiership soccer. Previews of the following weekend's All Ireland Gaelic football final may also feature. Given all that, I suspect the Penn State games has a snowflake's chance in hell of getting a look in.

I'd follow the advice given to a recent similar question in this forum re the possibility of watching the Steelers on TV in Killarney - record the game for when you get home and enjoy the local offering while you are here.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football on TV

As Domhnall so succinctly put it, you have "a snowflakes chance in hell" of seeing this in the pub :-) but all is not lost, it's time to make friends with an Irish person!!! This game will be shown live on ESPN America, anyone who subscribes to Sky Sports (most do ) will have this channel. It starts at 8.30pm Irish time.

tv.sky.com/tvlistings…

(I'm trying to learn about American football... I'm finding it SOOO confusing!!!)

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football on TV

Give Garveys Inn( +353 (0)91 562224 )

on Eyre Square a ring, they show all the NFL games on sunday evenings most weeks, im sure if there isn't anything else on they might oblige you, the lads are pretty sound in there too. As for Rugby World Cup games they are all on from 1am through to 9am so it wont clash with pub hours.

Mentioned in this post
Eyre Square
Eyre Square
1,177 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Football on TV

As great a game Penn State and Alabama promises to be, I wouldn't trade it for a Saturday night in Galway city pubs.

Mentioned in this post
Galway City Hostel
Galway City Hostel
185 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
5. Re: Football on TV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 17:16