We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

My husband, three adult children, and I will spend Nov 20 and Nov 21 in Galway. What would you recommend as the best bet for sightseeing on that Monday - we realize that we will need to make a choice because of time/weather....

We're thinking Aran Islands, Connemara Natl Park, Cliffs of Moher...any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

Hi bertie

Aran Island.. would depends on weather / sea conditions..

Connemara could be a good choice... plenty to see... you could spend some good time hiking with kids

Leenane has lovely views and an Aventure centre

www.killaryadventure.com/en/activities.html

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

It really depends on your interests and the itinerary either side....

Galway itself is a small compact and usually vibrant city with a choice of pubs and eateries with different flavours and things going on. Connamara is to the west the Burren and Clare to the south both offering excellent recreational activities. The Arans can be a bit bleak in November and need good weather to get the best from the Islands and more importantly the crossing.

www.enjoyfreetoday.com

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

As said its weather dependent but Connemara would be lovely and stop for lunch and dinner in a couple of the different towns and villages out that way. Clifden, Oughterard, Cleggan etc.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 09:19
Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

I think you should forget the Aran Islands, and Connemara National Park may be restricted at that time of year...access to Diamond Hill etc may be limited. Concentrate your day time hours out of the city, either Connemara drive - via Roundstone, Ballynahinch Castle for tea, Clifden for shopping, Leenane for sightseeing - Delphi etc...

If the weather is very overcast then you may opt for Cliffs of Moher, via Ballyvaughan for lunch, coastal drive - and Cliffs Visitor Centre. Its one or the other. Your can then enjoy the charms of Galway in the evening when its dark - presuming you are staying in Galway.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

I was on the Aran Islands in June of '09, and the wind chill on the roads cut right to the bone. And I had layers on-- wool sweater and a fleece hoodie.

Beautiful to see, and in sheltered places, the sun warmed, but oh that wind--- but we were riding in a cart pulled by a beautiful horse named Prince. And there were blankets

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

It depends on the weather if you get nice weather you could go to the Aran islands. The biggest island (inish More) has amazing cliffs but if you go to the cliffs of Moher you will see amazing cliffs there too! Plus you could spend a day on the way to the cliff going through the beautiful towns on the way Kinvara, Ballyvaughan etc via Clare like the Burren (famous limestone landscape). Bare in mind you can also go to the Aran islands from near the cliffs of Moher at a town called Doolin its a 40 min trip to the smallest of Aran Island (the nicest of the islands). Connemarra is definitely also worth doing, it would be similar to the islands but on a larger scale. You can manage to see the islands from Connemarra on a clear day. Galway is a lovely city to explore, visit the Cladagh, Salthill prom , University and walk down shop street. Enjoy

Edited: 11 November 2011, 12:54
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

"Adventurer", will the ferries from Doolin run that late into November?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

I thought they would as people live on the island but I just checked and i see alot don't..

http://www.aran-island-ferry.com/Sailing.htm

But email this company and you never know they say on the website they go in November

www.doolinferry.com/index.php?page=times

Good luck!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

My wife and I just got back from Ireland and we spend 5 days in Galway. We didn't even consider the Aran Islands. If it's cold and windy which most likely it will be, I know for sure it wouldn't be my choice.

There is plenty to do in Galway just walking around for a day and good restaurants closeby in Salthill & Barna. In Barna, Donelleys & Mulberrys (Wine Bar) are both great spots to eat. The 12 across from Donnelys is also a nice spot for a drink but we didn't eat there. Nectains Pub in Galway on Quay Street is a classic. Kirwins Lane restaurant in Galway is awesome as is Da Roberta in Salthill for Italian with an incredible wine list.

A drive to Connemara is very nice. You could take in Clifden, possibly Roundstone, Cleggan, Oughterrard, Kylemore Abbey & Kylemore Lough is a nice drive for the day. The drive along Lough Corrib from Clifden back to Galway is really nice.

Go to Dunguire Castle and stop in Kinvarra right next to it. The castle is free and in such a great spot on the lake. You can walk around Kinvarra which is also great. From here you can drive to Cliffs of Moher, The Burren etc. Ailwee Caves are cool in the Burren.

Have fun & bring rain coats..LOL

10. Re: what to see in first visit to Galway in middle of November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 10:19