We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway city centre or Salthill

London, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Galway city centre or Salthill

I plan on visiting Galway in June 2012. Wondering how far a walk it is from Salthill area to the city centre? We are not sure if we should day right downtown or in Salthill. If city centre, what are the main roads/area (eyre square)? If we stay in Salthill, is it a reasonable walk to the city centre?

We are in town for 3 nights and would like to explore the city, Connemara and Moher. Is there anything else we are missing?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

You will get feedback supporting either option. We love the city centre and would opt to stay handy to it. There are a lot of reasonably priced B&Bs near the city centre. The highest rated are on College Road but I prefer the Father Griffin area for B&Bs due to its excellent location, There are several good hotel choices in the city centre. Park House is very nice and comfortable with a great restaurant on site.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

The duration of the walk to the city Centre depends on where you want to stay in Salthill. For example the walk from the Salthill Hotel (via the promenade) is appox 40 minutes to Eyre Square (maybe 25 mins via Fr Griffin Road). Depending on the weather it is a nice walk into town and perhaps get a taxi home. I agree with Beamish that Fr Griffin Road is a great location and in addition, it is en route to Salthill if you fancy a nice early morning walk. I visit Galway a lot and I always stay in Salthill.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,948 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

Try this one.

www.skeffington.ie

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

City Centre for me, more places to eat, drink, shop etc. The walk as said is anywhere from 25-40 mins depending on your route. Main street is Shop St, main hotels are off Eyre Square or in the Quay St/Spanish Arch area.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

We stayed out in Salthill in '09, and never walked into town. We either caught a bus, or a taxi. It is a very long walk, after you've spent all day walking around Galway.

I like to stay where it's quiet at night, with a view of the water, so Salthill was a perfect fit for me.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

It depends on a number of factors:

1. If you like walking or not..if you do (I do) then Salthill is not a problem.

2. If you like an Atlantic view then Salthill is an excellent choice.

3. If you prefer a quiet night's sleep then hotels in upper Salthill will be a better choice.

I wouldn't stay in the Skeffington on Eyre Square because of the noise factor.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

Thank you so much for your replies. Definitely gives us a better idea of what we would be in for.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

NiceIrlande, I do like to walk, but sometimes after a long day of walking, then dinner and a pub, I'm DONE with walking and just want to go back to my B & B :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

I can understand that...there were plenty of taxis available last time I was there a few weeks ago

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway city centre or Salthill

I do live and love Salthill... I m a guy that doesn t like the city centre. I ve everything in Salthill. few shops, few good restaurants, pubs, post office, Bank... the Prom outside the door.. Bus runs till 11pm (1.60€).

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202229915-Galway1.pdf

Taxi from town is about 8/10€.

but everybody is different!

Get answers to your questions about Galway