We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go to Galway or not?

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
To go to Galway or not?

I'm spending 2 days in Kinsale and 2 days in Dingle then 2 days somewhere else???prior to traveling to Dublin for 3 days....Most people I have asked where to go in Ireland say Galway is a MUST see(but they fail to explain why)...Can you help me understand why?

Is it worth going all the way to Galway or should I take a more Easterly trip to Dublin from Dingle visiting such sights as the Rock of Cashel?

Is Galway just another "big" city like Dublin or is it something special?

My goal when I'm visiting Ireland is to enjoy the beautiful countryside, visit castles and other historical sights, and pubs with Irish music..

Thanks for your help..I have always loved the advice of trip advisor members!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Galway is a small compact vibrant city more of a town in size. The City is generally considered a base for the Aran Isles, Burren and the Connemara. An area 4 x the size of Dingle Peninsular and many 1000 times the size of Kinsale. At least 20 pubs in Galway will have music any night.

If you want to explore some of Galway and the surrounding are then its up to you but personally I think you might just be missing out if you don't.

If you want to see Cashel then call on the way to, or take a day from Kinsale.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 23:31
Laramie, Wyoming
Level Contributor
168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To go to Galway or not?

I agree with Tony, small city, nice restaurants and pubs. When some people say Galway, they don't necessarily mean the city, but the county and fabulous Connemara just north.

Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To go to Galway or not?

With regards to Connemara....is it similar to Dingle in scenery? I'd be willing to forego Dingle in lieu of the Galway/Connemara area if so. Is there a town you would recommend staying in to explore both the city and Connemara?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Galway city centre is a great time. Take a street view walk on Quay Street via Google maps for a sense of it. You can take great strolls along the River Corrib and its canals and diversions. There is great music at night. My favorite is the Crane Bar for trad as the music is always respected and won't get drowned out by the patrons. Galway city is a great base for many day trips as Tony mentioned. The cost in Galway city is reasonable as well. Great pubs and restaurants to choose from along with a great selection of specialty shops for breakfast, picnics, snacks, etc. There are colorful characters in Galway city and colorful tourists. I found the street signage in and out of the city very clear. I can go on but will stop there.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Personally I don't like Dingle town Probably because I remember how it used to be before the Dolphin and Rick Steves turned it into tourist central. But the choice between dropping Kinsale or Dropping Dingle is simple. Drop Kinsale. Or at least drop a night from Kinsale. Take the coastal route through Clare for the Burren and Cliffs to Galway for a night and then depends on the dates of your visit if there is a music festival of some sort going on.

For the main road west from Galway.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186607-i428-k54123…

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Just stay in Galway city for exploring Connemara, the drive is an an hour and 15mins to Clifden but you have the best of both worlds by staying in the city centre.

Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Thank you tony2phones for that description of County Galway and Connemara and the added link. Wishing I had more than 6 days to see all the sights and not feel like I'm in the car the whole time! ;)

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Another vote for Galway.

Details of Galway Events, Accommodation, etc. http://www.thelatinquarter.ie/

Images of the Latin Quarter http://www.galwaylatinquarter.net/images.html

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Galway is a magic city.. "city" in some parts.. 15/20 min walking away, it ll be a different world.. the end of the Prom, the view of the other side of the bay..

The South Park / Claddagh.

The walk from the Spanish Arch up to Eyre square, in the heart of Galway..

don t miss it!

Pretty easy to drive to Clifden / Connemara.. and perfect place to spend a fun night.. pubs, live music, restaurants.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: To go to Galway or not?

Drop 1 night from Dingle and Kinsale and leave yourself 2 nights to play with for Clare / Galway... / Connemara as you prefer........

Edited: 16 May 2012, 18:46
Get answers to your questions about Galway