We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Galway area

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Lodging in Galway area

We have a driving trip planned from Lettermacaward to Dingle. We plan to leave on the 6th of July, arriving in Dingle on the 8th of July. Had planned on stopping in Galway City on the 6th and spending the night. I cannot find lodging in the Galway area for that night. Any recommendations for a nearby town? We would want something that would not be too far from the city so we could head into town for the evening and back to spend the morning there.

Is it about a 4 hour drive from Lettermacaward to Galway?

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in Galway area

You will be arriving in Galway at one of the busiest time of this year as the Volvo Ocean race is on from the 30th June - 8th July which is probably why accomodation is scarce and expensive.

http://www.volvooceanracegalway.ie

www.booking.com does have some accomodation available for the 6th in Galway

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in Galway area

I would skip by Galway that week unless you have a big interest in the Yachts. Maybe have one night in Westport or Clifden and then onto Clare either by the coast or Ennis.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in Galway area

Of course we would pick that time! I did find lodging in Oranhill, we will probably book that. I'm assuming Galway on that Friday night will be swarming with people? It's our only chance to see it though, so we may give it a shot. I imagine booking a dinner reservation would be important?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in Galway area

Galway will be heaving and well worth a visit at that time. You will experience the town in mardi gras mode.

Were you to post the address of your accommodation we may be able to assist with a dinner venue.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in Galway area

We are staying at Oranhill Lodge in Oranmore. Would appreciate dinner suggestions! Thanks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in Galway area

Italian

http://www.basilicorestaurant.ie/

Irish

http://www.paddyburkesgalway.com/

And someone will suggest Morans on the weir, but I like good food and good value rather than a nice view.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging in Galway area

In the city itself you could try Cookes Restaurant, Cava, Rouge, Kai. All would need early reservations, as in now really.

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging in Galway area

Plenty of accommodation available near to Galway city along the Dublin Road close to the Carlton Hotel,don't need to stay out in Oranhill.

If you need further details let me know.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging in Galway area

I think in this instance I would be conservative. Book a table here, lots of parking and commute.

www.theardilaunhotel.ie/

10. Re: Lodging in Galway area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:47
Get answers to your questions about Galway