We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

galway to limerick

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
galway to limerick

Hi - travelling around Ireland using Public Transport. Need to get from GAlway (Harbour Hotel) to Limerick (absolute Hotel and Spa) on the 24th of December. Any recommendations for which public transport to use?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: galway to limerick

Bus Eireann or Citylink will get you there, at least town to town.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: galway to limerick

The busses and public transport will be manic that day. Try and get as early a bus as possible, that way if one is too full, you'll be waiting for the next one.

The City Link bus stops in Henry Street (near the Garda Station) and it is about 1.5 miles walk to the Absolute. The nearest Taxi rank is on O'Connell Street (just cross the road from where the bus arrives) then take one of the side streets leading up hill to the main thoroughfare and there will be a taxi rank across the road, to your left.

If you use Bus Eireann, you will arrive into Limeank outside. Rail Station and there is a taxi rank outside. Its about the same distance to the Absolute.

www.buseireann.ie www.citylink.ie

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: galway to limerick

you can also take the train direct from Galway to Limerick. I think the bus and trains arrive and depart at the same locations in each city. the train might be less busy than the bus

www.irishrail.ie for times etc.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: galway to limerick

Reverse of this answer to a similar question today

Get into Limerick and check the Bus/train times to see which works best, no point waiting 50 minutes for a bus if there is a train in 15. if you are backpacking there is the option of a bus from Limerick to the Cliffs of Moher and then a bus from there to Galway. might make for a long day though.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: galway to limerick

I don't think you will have capacity problems on the train and if worst comes to worst, you can stand on the train. Later in the day, the bus might be a problem.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: galway to limerick

The train from Galway is usually much quieter than the bus, and is quite a pleasant journey. However, the journey time is longer than the bus as it makes quite a few stops.

Route X51 is a non stop bus from Galway to Limerick and might be your best bet.

Same site as given already. www.buseireann.ie

Although, I would heed Bean's advice and get an early train or bus if at all possible.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: galway to limerick

There will be no train at 19:30 on Christmas Eve, so 18:05 is the last one.

Bus Eireann haven't indicated any restrictions on the 51 route, although on other services, they seem to be trying to have their drivers finish by 10pm, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the 20:25 go.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: galway to limerick

Donna will also need to get a cab or walk to the Absolute when she arrives. And she will be travelling across the city, whichever method she uses.

Donna, as stated in my previous post, earlier rather than later would be better for travelling this route on this particular day. Taxi Drivers are usually trying to get home early that night as well - as is everyone else.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: galway to limerick

Thanks for all the advise - I have booked and paid for our tickets on the City link bus departing at 11:30 - arriving Limerick City Center at 12.50.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: galway to limerick

If you had wings - you could fly, but I guess you may not have wings.

Nearly there now

Get answers to your questions about Galway