We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do????!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do????!!!!

Ok so I'm traveling to Ireland in June 4 for the first time for my bday. At first I was just looking at Dublin, then after doing some research I found out there's more to Ireland than just Dublin. I'm trying to put together an itinerary where I an visit the main cities by bus/train. Any idea on where should I start and how can I do this?? Lol, I was thinking dublin, Kilkenny, cork, limerick, Killarney, Galway, Dublin. Is that doable??? Or is it too much. How can I connect those cities? Any help will be greatly appreciate, thanks

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do????!!!!

How long do you have?What are your interests?Where do you fly into/out of?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do????!!!!

In/out of Dublin, 10 days. I like nature, the whole medieval feel, adventure stuff. also looking for a great nightlife, clubs,bars, I like beer and whiskey lol,. Not so much: museum. Also I'm really into Irish culture and all the natural beauty there is in the country.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 16:37
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do????!!!!

Bus/train will only get you into towns/cities, not out into the more remote and beautiful areas. The public transport network isn't wonderful -trains to places like Killarney may have waits in other stations like Mallow for an hour or more.Would you consider hiring a car?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do????!!!!

I don't really want to drive myself due to the fact that I get lost easily plus I know is a whole knew way of driving there. Should I settle in Dublin and take tours? Is that good. I really don't want to take a 7 day tour because I feel like is going to be too much riding around for me. See, I live in NY so I thought the train/bus system was kinda the same... But I haven't been able to talk to anyone who actually know about Ireland and can point me in the right direction. Also I'm looking for something fun to do on my birthday which will be on a Thursday.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do????!!!!

I would not settle in Dublin for the 10 days, but maybe use 3 or 4 bases.

You can easily get to Cork, Galway and Limerick by train from Dublin.

www.irishrail.ie

Book online in advance for much cheaper fares.

Some sections of your journey might be better done by bus.

www.buseireann.ie

Maybe consider a loose itinerary of 2 days in Dublin, 2 in Cork, 2 in Killarney, 2 in Limerick and the final 2 in Galway. Depending on the time of your flight, you could get a bus from Galway to Dublin airport.

www.citylink.ie

www.gobus.ie

Edited: 20 January 2013, 21:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do????!!!!

Thanks!

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do????!!!!

Driving isnt that bad..... The highways are really nice. The towns and smaller roads can be a little tricker but allows you to see more

cheers-d

London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do????!!!!

Galway might be a good option, as its university attracts lots of international students, so the nightlife is accessible on a budget. There are day tours from there to the Aran Islands or into beautiful Connemara.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do????!!!!

I would suggest getting either a Gobus or City Link bus between Dublin and Galway. They are cheap and quick as they are non-stop services (make sure you choose one of the non-stop services!)

From there you could get a bus to Limerick to visit King John's castle (for the Medievel feel). Again I think Citylink do a direct service. Bunratty castle which is between Galway and Limerick is probably a better castle but im not sure how you would get there without a car. If you can figure that out go there and do the Medievel Banquet, expensive but good.

From Limerick you can get another bus to Kilarney. You could possibly get a tour of the "Ring of Kerry" while you are down there. That will give you a good look at the Irish countryside.

The bus service between most of those spots is cheap and quick if you make sure to choose the non-stop services and check out the Go-Bus and City Link websites

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do????!!!!

My goodness!!! That was the best advise I've gotten so far!!! I spoken to travel agents, tried to book a tour from here(NY) and nothing has been as clear as that. I just don't want to pay extra because im traveling solo and everybody is trying to charge me a **subcharge** because of it. I figured if I go to the cities myself I can book tours from there and it would be better that way. Plus I can probably spend more time on each loation. So I'm planing to get to Dublin, do a city tour and and pub tour that night, spend the night there, then get on the train to Galway and spend 2-3 days (including my bday day) and move from there....

Get answers to your questions about Galway