We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Hi

I will be in Galway for 2 nights at the beginning of May with my husband and Im trying to decide what area is best to stay in - on the one hand we like being in the center of town where all the action is but on the other hand would love a Bay view. Haven't been able to understand how far from the bay the center of town is - can anyone give me some recommendations first of all of what area to be in and then of some nice Hotels in that area? We will have a car and we also like walking. We're not looking for budget accommodation but don't want to spend the kids inheritance either :)

thx

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Hotel, B+B or apartment?

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

The city centre is a 2 minute walk from the water so you are never far away. Bay views are probably best in Salthill so id be looking at the Salthill Hotel, Galway Bay Hotel etc in that area. Lots of b&bs out there too.

Israel
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

thx - I prefer a Hotel unless there is a really nice Band B that you can recommend>

Israel
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Hi Rojo

can I just clarify something - you s\mentioned the towen is 2 min walk away but a guest staying there has said in his revuew its 45 minutes walk - are there different town centers?

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Salthill is a 30 minute walk from Galway city centre and the salthill hotel has changed names. Look at the harbour hotel , park house hotel both in town

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

I'd recommend the Salthill Hotel. Ask for a sea view:

http://www.salthillhotel.com/

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Galway Bay stretches a long distance Lannie so you can be as close as two minutes in many locations. The city centre around Eyre Square and Shop St is two minutes from the Docks, and 2minutes from the mouth of the Corrib leading into the Bay down at the Spanish Arch area. Salthill is between a 30 and 45 minute walk from the city, maybe thats what your guest meant.

Re: Galway85, when did the hotel change names, its website,facebook, Twitter and various booking engines still list it as the Salthill Hotel???

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

I am a fan of the Park House Hotel just off Eyre square. I do not believe there are any water views, but it is a short walk to the water and the Park House is very comfortable. We have stayed there twice so far and will continue to use it as our Galway hotel.

The B&B plus 1 dinner package is great. We stayed there for 3 nights on our first visit to Ireland and the included dinner was excellent! In 2006 they gave you the opportunity to order off the a la carte menu for certain courses if you wanted with a small surcharge (I hope they still do that as it was a nice feature though the included items were great to choose from).

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,610 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Stay in town and the Park House as previously recommended would be my choice too.

www.parkhousehotel.ie/

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best area to stay in galway for 2 nights

Galway is on the coast so you are near water all the time. The "Bay" is not a 2 minute walk from town. you have three bridges in town where the Corrib river runs through and on out into the sea - Salmon Wier Bridge, O'Briens Bridge and Wolfe Tone Bridge. I think what the person posting previous was trying to say is that you can be by the water in 2 minutes if you stay close to Wolfe Tone Bridge in the town. It is not the Bay tho - it is the start of the walk to Grattan Road. Lower Salthill and Salthill proper in which you have Galway Bay.

For hotels in Salthill (Galway Bay proper) you can stay at the Galway Bay Hotel (about 20 - 30 minute walk into town) or Salthill Hotel (about 30 - 40 minute walk into town). There are also plenty of Bed and Breakfasts in the Grattan Road area which can be from 5 - 10 minutes to the Bay.

Park House is on the other side of the centre of town and away from the "bay" area of Galway.

I would suggest you look up Adare Guest House - it is a beautiful guest house and you are only minutes from both town AND lower Salthill beach area. Well worth a look.