We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Wondering if the following tentative itinerary is doable:

Arrive in Cork from France at 11 am. Rent a car and explore the area (maybe go to Kinsale). Spend the night in Cork

Day 2 - drive to Galway stopping at the Cliffs of Moher on the way. Spend nights 2 and 3 in Galway

Day 3 - explore Galway

Days 4 and 5 - drive to Dublin and spend days/two nights sightseeing

Day 6 - catch early morning flight home to the US.

I noticed we will be in Dublin during the "Heineken Bowl". Is it going to be chaotic? We're a family of four with two kids in their early twenties

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

KathyM, I think your itinerary is quite doable.Except for "maybe go to Kinsale". This should read "we'll GO to Kinsale"!!!

On the way to Dublin from Galway you could also visit Clonmacnoise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonmacnoise). It's well sign-posted from the M6.

To be honest, I don't know what the Heineken Bowl is but whatever it is there might just be a bit more activity in the pubs and you might want to avoid the Temple Bar area of Dublin. I'm sure other posters will be more knowledgable than I and give you better advice concerning this matter.

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Awesome - thank you Clauds for your suggestions to "GO" to Kinsale as well as to visit Clonmacnoise which will help to break up the drive to Dublin.

It is a rugby tournament . . .I couldn't figure out why the hotels were so expensive in Dublin that weekend!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Clauds - its the Heineken (European Rugby Union) Cup.

Munster have managed to get to the Semi-final again.

Kathy, it will be a crazy weekend. Most likely filled with French rather than Munster (Limerick, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary, Clare, Waterford) people sadly. But it will be a good weekend.

The Pont Aven - the boat you arrive on - is a lovely boat. I love travelling on it.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Ah shoot, Bean, I should have known that!

And there you go, KathyM, I told you there would be people here who know their stuff!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Personally I would head further North from Cork to give more options than a mad dash Cork to Galway the next day. We tend to overnight in Adare when going down to Cobh

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Bean - We're actually arriving by plane - too bad I didn't know about the boat. That sounds nice - maybe next time!? If an Irish team is in the semi-finals, why would there not be a good turnout of Irish rugby fans?

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Thanks Tony - although it will be a day of driving to Galway, we will just break it up by visiting perhaps Bunratty Castle along with the Cliffs of Moher. We don't mind driving when we look forward to the destination and stops along the way. Looking forward to our first trip to Ireland (and Europe for that matter).

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Because the final is on in Dublin and we don't expect to get to the final ;o)

Clermont Ferrand are an exceptionally strong team.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Said Irish team is unlikely to reach the final which is held in Dublin, the semi final is in the home teams stadium i.e not Dublin.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
372 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Some of us have not given upon the notion that a certain Paul O'Connell will singlehandedly drag his Munster teammates to the Heineken Cup final in Dublin; to offer an explanation re the likelihood of you rubbing shoulders with Frenchmen/women or Munstermen/women - of the four teams in the semi finals, two are French while the fourth is English. The final could therefore be played out as an all French affair (hmmm...) or a highly charged Ireland v England clash or some permutation of the above.

Rugby supporters can generally be depended upon to behave themselves when in town; it's the hoteliers out to scalp the travelling fans that fail to account for themselves well on these weekends.