We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Wondering if the following tentative itinerary is doable:

Arrive in Cork from France at 11 am. Rent a car and explore the area (maybe go to Kinsale). Spend the night in Cork

Day 2 - drive to Galway stopping at the Cliffs of Moher on the way. Spend nights 2 and 3 in Galway

Day 3 - explore Galway

Days 4 and 5 - drive to Dublin and spend days/two nights sightseeing

Day 6 - catch early morning flight home to the US.

I noticed we will be in Dublin during the "Heineken Bowl". Is it going to be chaotic? We're a family of four with two kids in their early twenties

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Ahhh - I see. Heartened to hear there is still hope. Based on the previous posts I was wondering if the Irish are pessimists or realists. Now I see - with two French teams in the finals, odds are one of them will be a french team.

I know less than nothing about rugby but my 21 year old son would love to see the game - maybe he and his father can find tickets. Regarding hotels, I waited too long to reserve since I didn't think there would be a problem - but did manage to get a room at the Kildare two nights ago when I went on for the first time. I keep seeing the prices go up and up.

Knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

As others have said, the only thing that stands out is the drive from Kinsale/Cork to Galway is quite a haul. I drove from Kenmare to Galway, stopping at the Cliffs on the way and going up through Doolin and it was a long day of driving. That said, I'd definitely hit Kinsale, it's a cute little town.

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Thanks for all of your insights! The wealth of information on this forum helps tremendously.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Regardless of what team is playing in the final I have heard that the game is already sold out? Has anyone else heard this?!?!

I imagine this will have implications for hotel booking so I'd be checking that out pretty sharpish.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Yep they are slod out bar the accommodation/hospitality packages as per the link below.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/finals/2013.php

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

We were able to secure a room for two nights (albeit expensive). Totally understand tickets would already be sold out in advance - we"ll just enjoy the sights and atmosphere!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,934 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Rostourist, I've only seen your post now and sincerely hope you are right and I am very definitely wrong!!!!

Kathy - you should be able to see the game in a pub. And it will be WELL worth watching, no matter who is playing. Rugby is a fabulous game.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

The Heineken Cup final is the equivalent of the Super Bowl of European rugby! Dublin is hosting the final but unfortunately the Dublin based team, Leinster Rugby, are already eliminated. We'll have to settle for winning 3 of the last 4 years instead!!

I agree with the suggestions to get to the pub for the rugby at 5pm

Westlake, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Kathy, I am also in Ohio and exploring trip to Ireland. Are you making all your own plans? Going anywhere else? Curios why it is only 5 day stay. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: 5 nights in Ireland - is this doable?

Hi oldjoy - yes we are making our own plans. I like being on my own schedule. We will be in another country before Ireland so that's the reason for the shorter stay.