We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones

A few years ago, while traveling in Panama, we were advised to pick up a cheap cell phone there with pre paid minutes on it. Any reason we could not take this phone (a Samsung) to Ireland and buy a SIM card there for use while traveling?

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phones

As long as its not locked to a particular network it will be fine.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phones

Needs to be European frequency compatible and unlocked. Provided you just want calls and texts Tesco is possibly the best operator

http://tescomobile.ie/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phones

Great. I will look into it.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phones

Panama uses same frequencies as US, which are different to Europe. A cheap phone is unlikely to be compatible.

Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phones

Just a word of caution about a Tesco phone (I am currently travelling in Ireland and picked up aTesco phone in Dubin). I am not able to text to mobile numbers in Canada (Bell or Rogers) or to the States (Verizon or Sprint) as Tesco does not have a text agreement with them (Tesco customer service told me this directly after calling them 5 times trying to get this resolved).

Not sure about calling these areas as I only wanted to text with friends and family if needed which is why I got the phone.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phones

Thanks. It is unlocked but panama operates at a different frequency. Can you call and text to the US on the Tesco phone? We are going to Ireland for a family wedding so the main priority wud be to be able to be in touch with our family there, but it would be nice to know we could reach the U.S. as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phones

Are you able to receive calls or texts from the states on it?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phones

I have never had a problem contacting the States or Canada. Calls are mainly land line or a couple of mobiles who I don't know the provider for. On the safe side check with your local provider to see which Irish networks they can connect with in both directions.

Just because I have never had problems doesn't nean they don't exist with the networks given above and possibly other's As Tesco use the Hutchinson Network that will also compromise "3" maybe 02 and possibly Meteor and Vodafone.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phones

I've used both Tesco and Vodaphone SIMS in Ireland, over the past few years. I use the Tesco primarily to call home to the US and have done so without any problems. I've RECEIVED texts from the US on my Vodaphone account a few times, but we haven't SENT texts to the US, so don't really know about that.

I keep the more expensive Vodaphone, as I've had it since 2002, can 'Top Up' on-line and everyone that needs to, 'Knows' that number. I purchase a 'New' Tesco Sim each trip, for calls to the USA and staying connected to the Mrs., should we wander off, in separate directions ...

Bob

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phones

A friend of mine went to Paris last year and her cell phone company in the states provided her with a phone to use while there using her regular cell phone number. Not sure of the cost but.....any experience with this?

Get answers to your questions about Galway