We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

bedworth
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

We are over next week from UK stopping at Nannys in Galway, my lad has exams and job interview on 30th May to study for - I know the pubs have free wifi etc but not ideal for the extra online revision practice he will need to be putting in - our home broadband provider is all automated call centre in the outback somewhere and can barely understand what they are saying when you eventually get thru - I just wondered if anyone else has been in same situation or can recommend - can I either bring a pay as you go dongle from England or purchase one from Ireland that will work in Galway. I know also internet cafes are available but he needs to be in super concentration mode back at Nannys for his work. Is the coverage ok - which is best network dongle to look at or do you have to stick with your own provider - thanks due to leave on Friday morning so would like to purchase soonest if from England

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

I know few company doing PAYG stick modem.. i ve O2 (stick, contract) and works fine. Prepay:

o2online.ie/shop/…mobile-broadband

Vodafone

…vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mob…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

Problem with a UK dongle is Data Roaming. Unless the dongle is unlocked which would just need a sim card then Probably 3 might be the way to go. www.three.ie/online/shop/ProductDetail.aspx…

Call into 3 UK as they do have some data interchange with Ireland but how much??

bedworth
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

thanks very much both - think it best sorted out when we arrive Friday morning in Galway after all they know for sure what does and doesnt work whereas over here they can only best assume thanks again

4. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 19:39
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,769 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

Coverage in Ireland can be pretty patchy especially in rural areas. Check which providers have a strong signal at Nanny's first - not much point getting the best deal if there is poor coverage where you want to use it. You could check at home if your existing dongle is locked by borrowing a card from someone with another provider and seeing if that works - you will need the internet settings for that provider. Many phones can work as modems too so if you have an unlocked phone you could look into how to set that up as a Modem. However you won't get much support from the provider for doing this and the easiest answer is just to buy a pay-as-you-go modem dongle from a provider in Ireland - It'll be set up and ready to go.

bedworth
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

thanks very much - had been in to our local Tesco last night and they have a vodaphone dongle on offer for £20 which is already loaded up and ready to go wtih 500mb. Not sure if that is quite enough but we can top up. They advised me to buy it from Ireland as that way we know it would work and it would be similar price. Failing that I have since found out that the library in Galway has free wifi - so back up if we dont get the dongle is that son walks down to the library for an hour everyday to do his work - we will meet him the Skeff or the Kings afterwards hee hee, but thanks so much for your advice

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

UK operators are NOT the same as Irish operators with the same brand name. Not sure that a UK dongle wouldn't be roaming in Ireland...As before I believe 3 are the only cross border (limited) data provider. I could be wrong though if things have changed in the past 12 months.

bedworth
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

thanks Tony will ask in Tesco as they also had a 3 dongle

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

Best ask 3 direct much as I am a big Tesco fan their shop team are fairly useless, even in the UK where they are dedicated to that department. I know there is some data allowance on 3 but how much would need clarification from 3 themselves..The best deal over here is on the link I gave earlier and 3 are the Rural Broadband operators so if Nanny is out in the Sticks might be the best reception using the Hutchinson satellite network.

bedworth
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dongle Internet Pay As You Go Connection - Galway

thanks Tony - will pop in and see the 3 shop -am assuming its central ? Nanny not too far from Cookes Thatch so not out in sticks as such so hopefully good coverage - roll on tomorrow !

Get answers to your questions about Galway