We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash vs. credit

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cash vs. credit

Hi!

I will be visiting Galway for two days at the end of this month. We are trying to estimate how much currency to bring with us. Do most places accept credit cards or is cash preferred? Also, what would you estimate a pint of beer is in Galway or a typical, average meal?

Thanks so much!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash vs. credit

A pint will cost about E 4.00

depends where you go

What your idea of an "average meal"

How long are you going to be in Ireland ?

Use a credit card for every purchase

far safer and you'll get a better conversion rate.

DON'T carry loads of cash around with you

there's no need.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 15:20
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash vs. credit

Use an ATM card to take cash out as you need it. Credit cards are accepted in many but not all locations. For smaller purchases it is better to use cash.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash vs. credit

A pint is anywhere from €3 to €5.50. An average three course meal with wine for 2people would be a minimum of €50 to a max of whatever you want really. As Bean said just use and ATM, its what i do no matter where i go.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,847 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash vs. credit

Paying for drinks and a meal by card fine but paying for drinks in a bar Cash. some places will have minimum spend and some will not take cards at all, you can serve 3 people in the time it takes you to pay to process a card payment. Pub meals range up from €10/12 depending where you are, generally check the price of the soup and if it's over €5 go elsewhere menu's are generally on display before you walk in.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash vs. credit

credit cards are accepted in most shops and restaurants, some smaller BandBs prefer cash, but I wouldnt bring cash with you, use a debit card at an ATM for cash and a credit card for major purchases, I usually start off with around €50 on me.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,861 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash vs. credit

Yup, fifty euro more than enough.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash vs. credit

These might help too:

http://www.menupages.ie/Galway

galwaycitypubguide.com/spotlight-on/pub-food…

8. Re: Cash vs. credit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:17