We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway advice please.

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Galway advice please.

Hi,

My wife and I are looking at booking a 3 night, 4 day trip to the Galway area at the end of July.

What we would like to know is, should we base ourselves in Galway city and tour from there each day or travel arould staying in a different hotel or b&b each night?

So far the following is what we were thinking of doing, but we would really appreciate some advise from a few people who are more familiar with the Galway area.

Day1. Travel from N Ireland to Galway city via Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan, Athlone, Galway. Probably stop somewhere and have a picnic, weather permitting, and spend a few hours in the late afternoon looking around the city. Any suggestions where to have dinner then a few pints listening to some traditional music. Not into fine dining. Would prefer good quality pub grub type food.

Day 2. Leave around 9.30am. N59 to Clifden. Drive around the Sky road loop and rejoin the N59 to Letterfrack. Stop at the Connemara National Park. Visit Kylemore Abbey. R345 to Cong. N84 south back to Galway. Suggestion for dinner in Salthill, then go to the "Trad on the Prom" in Galway Bay Hotel.

Day 3. Leave Galway around 10am. N18/N67 Kinvarra to Ballyvaghan. R477 to Lisdoonvarna. R478/N67 to Kilkee/Kilrush. N68 to Ennis. R476/R460 to Gort. N18 back to Galway. Any suggestions where to have dinner then a few pints listening to some traditional music.

Day 4. Leave Galway around 10am. N17 north to Tuam/Tobercurry/Sligo (is the N83 north out of Tuam and then rejoin the N17 a nicer drive?) N16 towards Enniskillen and home.

We enjoy driving, taking in the sights, and a few stops for lunch, gift/craft shops etc. Not to worried about spending a lot of time on organized tours etc.

I'll take ANY advise/direction form all you knowledgable TA members, including good places to eat, good b&b's or hotels etc.

Many thanks in anticipation.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway advice please.

Galway races on 29 July to 4th August avoid that time as hotels will be very exp

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway advice please.

For trad pubs in Galway try Ti Coili, Taaffes and The Crane. For gastro pubs try Busker Brownes, The cellar, The Dail, Eat@Massimo etc. For dinner in Salthill The Oslo would fit your brief of good pub food perfectly.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 20:09
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway advice please.

We had dinner at the Galway Bay Hotel before the Trad shows and then just walked downstairs to the theater. A few blocks toward town is Lohans, not fancy but very good food and pints and next door is a place that serves Tapas. We used Salthill as our base of travel for everything you have listed in the area and it was not a long drive at the end of each evening to get back to Galway/Salthill.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway advice please.

I would be tempted to put 2 days into Galway and 2 days west on the way back rather than day tripping the Connemara and Back, day trip through To.

For west of Galway …activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/ and http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu might give some Ideas. The Arans are just off shore and an option or three. South of Galway city there is south Galway then Clare with the Burren, 1/2 a mile of famous Cliff but a whole lot more www.dochara.com/tour/itineraries/burren-tour/

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway advice please.

Thanks very much to all who have taken the time to reply so far. All comments will be taken on-board before we finalize our trip which is likely to be week beginning the 22nd July, so we should miss race week crowds.

I hope many others will post their thoughts.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway advice please.

Galway Bay Hotel is the best.

I have stayed in a few. Just make sure you book direct with them. I found that when I first stayed in Galway. I was booked in one that uses a booking engine even when it looks like you are on the hotel website. i was charged a fee. I would only stay here, the bus to the center stops right outside if you choose to leave the car in the free parking lot. The staff including Dan the manager.

7. Re: Galway advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:18