We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

St. Louis, MO
1 post
Save Topic
How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

Is there a cheap bus or shuttle from the Galway city centre to the castle?

Any idea how much and/or when the departures are / how long it takes?

Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

Two bus options www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1271427411-434.pdf and www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753024-050.pdf depending on time/day not much help if you were panning on the Banquet. Kinvara is though a great place to spend the night.

Mentioned in this post
Kinvara
Kinvara
County Galway, Ireland
Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
203 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

We were recently in Kinvara and Galway, but we had a car so I can't help you with that. But, assuming that you are attending the medieval banquet at Dunguaire, Tony2Phones is right that Kinvara is a great place to spend the night, then take the bus back to Galway the next day, and Kinvara town centre is only about a 15 minute walk to the Castle. We stayed at Fallon's B&B in Kinvara which was very good, and walking to Dunguaire Castle we stopped at Connolly's Bar and saw a wonderful music session, then we walked on to the Castle for the banquet and back to our B&B afterward. Keogh's is also a really good pub in Kinvara -- we had lunch there. So, bottom line, if you can spend the night in Kinvara, getting back and forth to the Castle is an easy walk, and there are good pubs and B&Bs to enjoy also in Kinvara. Good luck, and have a fun time!

Mentioned in this post
Kinvara
Kinvara
County Galway, Ireland
Holon, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

Hi IllinoisMike,

Would you recommend the Dunguaire banquet? I am well aware it's touristy, but was it worth the time and money? we're a family of 5 with young children, and we planned to spend the night in Kinvara anyways....

Many thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Kinvara
Kinvara
County Galway, Ireland
Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
203 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

Hi Gillsh, I enjoy all 3 of the most known medieval banquets in Ireland: Bunratty, Knappogue, and Dunguaire. They are all entertaining, but have some differences. Here are my thoughts them for attending on them for attending with a family:

Dunguaire -- More compact and less crowded, with talented performers, but it's a smaller castle with not much to see inside, and with only 3 performers -- they tell stories and sing songs -- it might be a little slow for kids.

Knappogue (haven't been to this one since the 1990s) -- Seemed to be about 6 - 8 young female singers who sang together beautifully, good costumes, good music, nice atmosphere, should be very enjoyable if you like good choral singing although some of the songs might be a little slow for kids. A little bit larger than Dunguaire but still small enough that kids will be able to see well.

Bunratty - Excellent grand hall to get in the mood, you do feel like you're in a real castle. The most touristy of them all, but it's very entertaining for all ages with 6 - 10 performers, songs and maybe a few skits with a fun host, some good humor, lively show that kids should enjoy, but they really pack the tourists in -- if it's a full crowd you'll be squeezed together and kids may feel too crowded.

I'd say Bunratty is the most fun even with the motorcoach crowd there and being jammed into your seats, Knappogue is the most poetic with the nice choral music and some poetry, and Dunguaire is entertaining but more on the smaller scale and quieter side.

I don't know if you can find discount tickets anywhere. I subscribe to Groupon Ireland and haven't seen any medieval banquet tickets available yet on Groupon. Hope you have a great time! Check out Connolly's in Kinvara for a great trad music session, and they have other types of music sessions depending on the nights of the week. Keogh's Pub a block from Connolly's had good food and would be a good place for a family meal. Have fun -- we wish we were coming back again soon!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kinvara
Kinvara
County Galway, Ireland
Holon, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

thank you for you thorough and very helpful reply.

Bunratty it will be, then...

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
203 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

Glad to help. I think your family will have a very fun time at Bunratty. Also, right by Bunratty are a folk park and some shops so if they are open when you get there they are nice to walk around and look at, plus a couple pubs -- the famous Durty Nellie's and the quieter traditional pub Mac's are right by Bunratty, too. Have a great time!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

If you check out the Shannon Heritage page they have video shorts for the events shannonheritage.com/EveningEntertainments/

El Cajon, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

How is the banquet food at the Dunguaire Castle? Thanks!

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
203 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

Over the years I've been to Bunratty and Dunguaire twice and Knappogue once and I honestly don't remember the food other than it was fine. Soup, chicken and some other main course option, dessert cake or maybe ice cream. It was all fine. Perhaps it was all the mead and wine we were served before and during dinner, and the distraction of the entertainment, which cause my memory to be fuzzy on the food -- maybe someone else will remember better. I do remember being happy with the food.

10. Re: How to get to Dunguaire Castle from Galway without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 07:19