We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Hello there.

I apologize in advance for the length of the question.

Me and my friend, both 25 years of age, are planning a trip to Irealnd in mid August.

We arrive in the morning of the 12th in Dublin airport.

Now there's a concert we need to attend at the 17th in Slane Castle, so I thought we would go straight to Galway from the airport, stay there a couple of days and then go back to the Dublin area for the rest of the trip (we leave on the 23rd in the morning).

My 1st question regards transportation- naturally we are kind of on a budget. Not a small budget like backpackers, but we don't want to spend too much money.

Is it better to rent a car for the duration of our stay in Galway or is public transportaion a good way to get around? (naturally we won't stay in Galway and we want to see stuff around).

If we rent a car- where do we park it in Galway and how much aprox. does it cost per day?

Also, if we rent a car, is it better to sleep in one place in Galway and just drive around or is it better to sleep in different towns?

Also, do you think our plan is Okay or is it better to first stay in Dublin and then go to Galway area? (note that our flight leaves from Dublin on the morning of the 23rd).

Thanks in advance to all the repliers and my apologies if there are any spelling/grammar mistakes. I don't live in an english speaking counrty :)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

You do not need a car for Dublin and there is no harm heading straight to Galway from landing, it is Motorway all the way to the outskirts, Most accommodation in Galway will have car parking facilities on site or close. B&B might be the way to go.

12-16th in the west, Galway area for a couple of days then a couple of days getting back via Clare and Limerick or Mayo and Sligo. 3 days Dublin takes you to the 19th. I might then be tempted to go north and have the 20-21st going out from Belfast before dropping to a Dublin Airport Hotel on the 22nd ready for departure.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

First of all thanks fo the reply!

Second, can you reccomend a good B&B with parking, good location and good prices?

Third, as i said I must be in Slane on the 17th at 15:00 so your plan doesn't fit.

Any other ideas?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Somewhere like St Judes Lodge on College St in Galway (there are a few B&B on College Rd which is fairly handy for the city centre. Slane is about 2 1/2 hours drive from Galway http://www.galwayguesthouses.ie/ the same from Ennis, under 3 hours from Sligo. and return the car on the way into Dublin on the 18th.

http://www.thefailtebandb.ie/ is an option in Slane

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Thanks for the ideas but I think it's a little pricey for us.

No hotel/hostel/guesthouse for about 50-75 Euros with free parking?

Regarding the route- you suggest staying west until the 17th, going to Slane and then return to Galway? and then on the 18th visit all the places you've mentioned?

Isn't it a little pricey? In terms of gas prices?

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

I would suggest getting a bus directly from Dublin airport to Galway on arrival.

Gobus.ie or citylink.ie

You could stay at any of the following hostels in Galway city centre; sleepzone, kinlay house or snoozles. All are within 5 mins walk of the bus terminus.

While in Galway you can take day tours to connamara, burren/cliffs of moher and Aran islands. You may like to over night on Aran. Easy public transport option from the city.

Lallytours.com

GalwayDayTours.ie

HealyTours.ie

Get the bus or train back to Dublin and from Dublin city centre a bus to slane for the concert. Even if you have a car you won't be able to drive to slane as there is very little parking.

Irishrail.ie

Gobus.ie

After the concert hire a car in Dublin and see another part of the country for the remainder of your holiday. This might work better for you.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 18:59
Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Id go with Eamons idea, very easy to do day tours from Galway. There are lots of b&bs on College Rd like Tony said, just look on booking.com or on tripadvisor for exact prices etc, its not hard.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

No Dublin after dropping the car after Slane. But if you prefer not to rent a car then the bus and local tours would be a good alternative.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Thanks for the repliers.

Do the tours to the cliffs, the islands and connamra give good value for money or is it better to go bymyself with public transport?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

By the way, the concert in on saturday. Does public transport work regulrly on saturday?

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Long multi-part question regarding Galway

Public transport to Connemara and the Cliffs are limited, tours offer a good overview of the best of everything to be found in each location, and the cost is similar to the cost of buses but with a guided tour.