We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Galway

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I am planning a solo trip around Ireland in August and was planning on flying into shannon airport, staying in galway for a few nights, going on a few day trips whilst i am there then going to dublin to meet friends before flying home from dublin airport.

Where is best to stay in galway that is cheap and cheerful? Or would it be best to stay in another part but within travelling distance of the good sights?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,129 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway

Really depends on the dates and the budget. What does "Cheap and cheerful" translate into in terms of Euros per night? And the Galway Races are on first week of August so if your trip includes those dates it changes the story altogether.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I was planning on 5th August - 8th August.

Cheap and cheerful means just a bed to stay without breaking the bank, I am not bothered about breakfast just as long as the atmosphere is nice and friendly. Preferably it would be in walking distance of a few bars and sights. About 40-50 euros a night, or is that asking for the moon on a stick?

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway

Hostels like Snoozles, Sleepzone, Kinlay and Barnacles would do you and possibly cheaper than the amount you stated.

Mentioned in this post
Snoozles Hostel
Snoozles Hostel
429 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Sleepzone Hostel Galway
501 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Kinlay Hostel Galway
Kinlay Hostel Galway
654 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway

Thank you, I will check them out :-)

New York
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
845 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway

On your mention of trips out of Galway, a very nice one includes great sites north including some coastal gems toward the general Westport area and then back down the Cong side. See maps which include some of Connemara National Park and many other gems along the way.

There are a number of potentially fine itineraries -with natural beauty and human gems all about -available including here in the forum reserves. Peruse as well utilizing the broader internet with or without a (recommended) overnight on the north end before returning to Galway. All the best!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Connemara National Park
Connemara National Park
3,228 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
6. Re: Galway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19