We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and breakfasts and child safety

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Bed and breakfasts and child safety

Apologies in advance for what is probably the most preposterous question I've ever posted on TA . Here goes . . .

We are travelling in Ireland for two weeks, with the second week staying in a cottage rental and spending the first hitting up Dublin, Galway, Cork and some sights in between . . . staying at a nice hotel in Dublin, but hotels get a bit sterile and boring . . . for Galway trying to decide between all of us staying in a big room at the Park House OR staying in two rooms at a B&B in one of the surrounding areas. We are two adults and three kids ages 8, 11 and 13. Not little little kids but not all teens either. For us to be comfortable at this B&B we would need to put the kids in one room and stay across the hall.

This arrangement makes me nervous. We are not in the middle of nowhere--there are lots of pubs and restaurants around. My biggest worry is someone climbing through the window and snatching my 8 yr old daughter. However, I know the chances of that happening are statistically itty bitty but is it completely unheard of? This is a decent sized B&B so there will definitely be other lodgers.

By the way, cost-wise, the B&B is only a little cheaper than a big room at the Park. B&Bs might be more economical for couples or singles but not for families. We are primarily doing it for the experience.

Frankly, if this were the US I probably wouldn't do it but since it's Ireland I am assuming it is okay.

Also, I am not a hysterical person and my family travels a bit but this would probably be the first time we have stayed in two separate rooms so this is a first for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
837 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would be a bit piqued at the notion his or her country may be a haven for an underground multitude of lurking kidnappers, in eager search for their next potential victim.

Baffingly enough, the pivotal questions not one person has yet thought to ask, since the initial issues we presented by a Yank, would indubitably have to be: "Would the ransom be better requested in euros or dollars and one logical step further, better determined at the going rate of exchange at the time of initial contact or final payment?".

Edited: 04 August 2013, 17:35
Birmingham...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

See my first thought to this was, "If the kids like each other enough to behave while stuck in a room together, surely they like each other enough to yell for help if a stranger came into their room. Or go after the person with a baseball bat or hair dryer - whatever was on had at the time."

But that's just me.

OP, I think a far more rational concern here is whether they will get into an argument over the remote that ends up disrupting other guests. I think it might be asking a lot for kids that age to behave themselves without an adult present. But then, I'm one of those people who generally assumes that children (particular other people's children) aren't likely to be perfect angels. So perhaps I'm jaded..

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

I've been using TripAdvisor since forever, so I definitely posted this with my eyes wide open!

Frankly, I did not expect to receive so many helpful responses, and well-written ones at that. Of course, since I was seriously considering staying at a B&B, I was not THAT paranoid or concerned. I live in a busy intersection in a city of 10 million people, quite a few of whom are positive nutters, and my children play outside all the time. However, ever since that tragic Maddie McCann incident, I have realized that not every place is as safe as the streets of Manhattan.

So what we have decided to do is to stay at the Park House, more for convenience and flexibility than any other reason.

And preglad, if I were the kidnapper I would request Canadian dollars. Everyone loves Canadians.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
837 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

Ok jk, but of the eight million New Yorkers, I feel one of us has to address the image of our great city to counter the portrayal it's gotten here. We have one of the lowest capital crime rates based on population in America, far lower than any other large city and not a quarter of the number since its peak in the sixties and seventies.

At the very end of all this, you now come round to suggest a small town in Portugal may not be as safe as the streets of Manhattan with millions of people representing nearly every educational, economic and social variable imaginable? It seems to me we all have to avoid the propensity to occasionally take flight in the highest levels of radically varying extremities.

Additionally, if a visitor to our city wrote about a need to protect her children to the degree of concern you seem to have, I think most New Yorkers would find such a perspective excessive even in New York, once one gets past a level of normal precaution.

You did, interestingly enough, begin with a preamble of apologies in advance and declared your inquiry probably the most preposterous in the history of TA. That insight should have helped you frame any real concern less sensationally. Asking more evenly for child related precautionary advice, it would not have elicited anywhere near this much clatter or caused the uninitiated to wonder about the levels of trepidation common to New Yorkers or their city. If your truer goal was to stir a hornet's nest, you succeeded nicely.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

In New York City we do not have a culture of bed and breakfasts and the city laws make it challenging to operate them. I can only think of a couple of B&B's in the city at all. They are small affairs that cater to adults, and I have a hard time believing that at those guesthouses all the doors are left unlocked and children are scampering up and down the halls like they are at B&Bs I have stayed at in other places. So using your example, preglad, if a visitor to New York said "hey, would it be okay if we stayed with our kids at the Union Square Inn in two separate rooms and left them unlocked?" I do not think such a question would indicate "excessive concern" and I would not be offended and I would be happy to offer my opinion. In fact, NYC is a very safe city, but also people are prudent and no one, except for certain people on the NYC Tripadvisor forum, would bite your head off for questioning the safety of something.

My post was not sensational. If read carefully, you will see that I was asking about staying at a B&B in a CITY, right next door to a pub and a restaurant, with doors and windows wide open all night. Very glad to hear that Ireland is so safe this question is considered preposterous, but I also note that no one who has responded indicated they had done it themselves. In fact, we are also staying at another B&B in the countryside, but I was asking on this forum specifically about B&Bs in an urban setting.

Lastly, my reference to Portugal was simply to address the suggestion that this was simply a Yank concern. It was a tongue in cheek attempt to point out that certain unfortunate things can happen anywhere.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

jklNY, have a lovely time.

(And hide the coffee in the children's room lol!!)

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
837 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

jkl,

People all sometimes wish we could be heard as we would prefer. To close this all on a more peaceful note, I wish you a relaxed and pleasant trip as well. Trust you'll all have many fine experiences and memories of Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

Hi Jkl

Coming to this a little late, but for what it's worth you have made the right decision. No matter how little likelihood of anything happening to the children, the fact that you are anxious about it would say to me that you shouldn't do it. You wouldn't relax and there would be no point. We all have things we worry unnecessarily about - my own children are similar in age to yours and I have never left them in a separate hotel room - I would worry about getting to them in a fire or something. However the biggest problem would likely be that they would all start fighting with each other and without an adult there to referee, well... I'm sure you know ;-)

Have a lovely holiday.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

It still intrigues me that out of all the misfortunes that might happen to you, criminal and otherwise, you focused on probably the rarest: kidnapping. It leaves me wondering just how much influence media's emphasis on fearful stories has on us.

40. Re: Bed and breakfasts and child safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:15