We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

My whole family is planning a trip for June 2007 -- as many as 12 adults and 13 youths from ages 5 to 19. We plan to stay in self catering cottages, likely about 3 or 4 days in two locations. We're leaning towards the west. Would appreaciate any ideas for locations with lots of activities for people of all ages and various interests.

boston ma
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

We are just back from a trip to Galway with 2 young adult sons. Doolin served as a great location for day trips to the Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher, and walks in the Burren at the ocean's edge. The local pubs are famous for Irish music and provide entertainment for all ages. The town is unfortunately in the middle of a building spree that may distort the character, but I suspect a few of these new bungalos are self-catering. We saw a few large groups like yours enjoying the area.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

Check this out for Doolin

goireland.com/Accommodation/Clare/Doolin_Sel…

I would personally prefer to use Lahinch or Kilkee as a base as there is more to do in the evenings when your not driving and seeing sights.

goireland.com/Accommodation/Clare/Kilkee_Sel…

goireland.com/Accommodation/Clare/Lahinch_Se…

Depending on your budget, my personal choice would be one of the houses on Georges head, next to the golf club and overlooking the bay of Kilkee. Heres the link

goireland.com/scripts/…premises.htm

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

alex i think you can only rent self catering by the week...usually they are from saturday to saturday morning.....be sure to check this out....since there are so many folks building them they may have changed.....

i can't imagine traveling with 25 people, it makes me tired just thinking about it.....hehehehe.....

Kells
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

There's no sense trying to cram in seeing all kinds of tourisity places, just go to the Pub. Everyone likes the Pub, kids are allowed in the Pub. Load the kids up with crisps and club orange while the elders enjoy a nice pint. Break the day up, try 3 different Pubs so there is a bit of exercise involved. You can also buy the kids choclate bars between Pub's. (nice to be a hit on the holidays).

Hope this helped....Don

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

SmilinDon certainly does not speak for the Majority.

Oddly enough, the English on percentages drink more than the Irish. Its the Irish's fault for being drunk while building most of New York at the turn of the 20th Century and got that stupid name.

Kids are not allowed in Bars after 7pm by law. Anybody over the age of 16 and under 18 must be accompanied by somebody over 18.

Hotel bars tend to overlook that law but normal pubs will not allow kids in unless they cater for families which is not too common late in the evenings.

new Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

Make sure you take your binoculars if you are going to the Cliffs of Mohr. They are spectactular but you don't want to miss the birds. I loved the city of Killarny and the national park.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

If you are looking for a self-catering place that might take all of you try

www.cashelfean.com .

The have places in Glengarrif and near schull in West Cork. Beautiful houses and some of them are massssivvve. Glengarriffe a nice place to spend a week, music in pubs, walks, day trips to Bantry, Kenmare, Killarney etc.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

These are very helpful -- even about the pubs! Walking distance to pubs will be important to some in the group.

I understand some self-catering houses can be rented for 3 or 4 days before the peak months of July and August.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

alexmv if you do find cottages that rent for 3-4 days please let us know....

i have been in april and in may and rented a cottage but had to take it for a week so i would really be interested.....this is great news as i am always told that high season starts in june.....we just paid for the week but only stayed 4 days as we wanted to move on and see more things so this would be a real money saver.....

thanks in advance for any info you find.....

Roland, Iowa
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for Family Trip to Ireland?

We rented a cottage thru Goireland.com. If you only want to stay a few days of the week, find a place first on their website that you like and is available for the whole week, then call GoIreland.com direct. It's a toll free # from the USA, but patches you thru to a heavy Irish Accent across the pond. They'll call the owner of the cottage and ask them if they'll allow a partial week. They may only have you pay for a percentage of the week. We were only there from Monday thru Friday, but the lady that owned the house insisted we come back on Sunday night before our flight out and stay because she didn't have anyone coming that next week anyway. Self catering tho is so cheap comparatively anyway that if you paid for the whole week, you'd still come out way less than a B&B.

I like the idea someone had of staying in Kilkee. Lots of self catering within walking distance of pubs. AND a gorgeous beach! We've only traveled to Ireland in June both times but the weather was still very good. Beware of speedos and naked babies on the beach... (It'll be too cool for your group to wear swimsuits on the beach) Oh and there's an indoor swimming pool in Kilkee with a great waterslide and a lazy river. (artificial current).

If anyone in your group likes dolphins, head into Kilrush (close by) and take a boat ride to see them up close.