We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G Hotel

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
G Hotel

Hi there! need some help regarding the G Hotel in Galway. It looks beautiful but I am wondering about the location. This is our first time to Galway, and we won't have a car. Is it centrally located enough to easily get around Galway city? Any other recommendations on a nice, well situated hotel?

Thanks!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,986 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G Hotel

It's becoming my pet peeve: web sites that go on and on about the color of the carpet and the materials used in the bar, but don't give practical info like where the darn place IS!

Anyway, I found one description on a booking site that described it as "a few minutes by car from Galway City center", and this site by the hotel group that has a map and says it's "a 10 minute walk". I'm thinking they're a bit optimistic on the 10 minute part based on the map and my "tourist knowledge" of Galway City, but I'm open to correction by locals...in any event, it certainly looks close enough to either walk or taxi for a small amount if you don't have a car. Taxi cabs are easily available in Galway and I'm sure the hotel would ring one for you on that end of things.

monogramhotels.ie/hotels/g_location.html

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G Hotel

Going by where it is located I would say its about 20-30 mins walk a least to the city centre. It will be easy to get a cab alright.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G Hotel

It's not as central as the Great Southern Eyre Square (dead centre) or the Radisson but still not a huge trek either, maybe ten mins max. I've stayed in the G and both other hotels I've mentioned and the G is in a league of its own - best hotel I've stayed in in Ireland!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G Hotel

If you can afford the place, good luck! Enjoy.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,986 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G Hotel

I looked around some more and I think this place is out by the N6 roundabout? Near Wellpark where the Sky Cinema is?

Anyway, usually when I'm in Galway I stay on the College Road, a few houses down from the greyhound track. And from there, Eyre Square is between 10-15 minutes for me, and I'm a brisk walker. (The walk back has a bit of an uphill so takes a bit longer)

It looks like this hotel is another 10 minutes walk out past the greyhound track away from town, so now that I know where it is I'm really wondering about that "10 minute walk" that they advertise!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: G Hotel

Hi

I know exactly where the G Hotel is - its on the roundabout opposite the Hunstman Inn. I reckon its about 20 min walk to Eyre Square.

Most shops / bars etc in Galway that you'll want to see are either off Eyre Square or the Shop Street / Quay Street area immediately off Eyre Square (but the OTHER side to your hotel). So to walk say to the bars / restaurants and the other end of quay street would take about 35 mins.

Depends really on what you think 'easy to get around' means. To some this is a bit of a hike - espcially lovers of high shoes! To others it sounds fine. Taxis are pretty easy to get and I reckon a taxi from the G Hotel to the other side of town would cost about 8 euro (based on similar trip I took just last week)

Other hotels closer to the action include - the five star Great Southern Hotel on Eyre Square (there are 2 Great Southerns and one is FURTHER out than the G so be specific), and the Jury's Inn - three star - fantastic location and good prices in a buzzing part of town. or the Skeffington Hotel also on Eyre Square - this place is well known for its huge and very busy bar that I'm not that fond of but the rooms are okay. Each of these places has shops / bars / restaurants on the doorstep.

Hope that helps.

RB

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: G Hotel

I was there last week. It is about a 20 minute walk to Eyre Square, heart of the city. Very easy, can't get lost.

Japan
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G Hotel

It is more than 20 min walk to where city activities are (shops, bars, restaurants). Taxi will be handy, but I also noticed local bus stops in front of the hotel rather frequently. Please ask the hotel how to use the bus.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: G Hotel

I was here 2 weeks ago. It is a bout a 20 minute walk into the centre of Galway. We walked in and out a couple of times and got a taxi other times. We didnt find the location a problem at all. One thing i would say is that the G is amazing - best hotel i have ever stayed in. If you do stay there make sure to use the spa - wow is all i can say!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: G Hotel

the G hotel is situated right on a roundabout - called Mooninageesha (sp) Cross Roundabout - it is in the College Road Area. It is DIRECTLY on the roundabout. Across from it is a great pub called The Huntsman pub and inn - food, brilliant (probably better than the G). You can walk down college road into town - it will take you half hour - there are two ways you can go into town - down college road - passing the dog track on the way, which will bring you into Eyre Square. Or down Lough Atalia in which you follow the water into town and you end up passing the raddison at the docks.

There is also a bus stop right across the road from the G Hotel. There is a cinema next door, and behind it there are some DIY stores.

If you are willing to spend so much money at the G, why not go for the Radisson in town which is probably just as expensive but you are situatied in the town.

Get answers to your questions about Galway