We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Rental Car Insurance

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Ireland Rental Car Insurance

We will be renting a car in early Oct. and I am very confused about the changes for insurance on rental cars in Ireland. Can anyone explain what extra insurance charges are really necessary and what credit cards cover the insurance.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Rental Car Insurance

My advice, after a really bad recent experience with a car rental in Ireland: TAKE ALL THE INSURANCE COVERAGE YOU CAN !! On the very day myself and the car were towed to the airport, only 13 cars had been brought back with heavy damages to them ....

I do not know which credit card(s) you detain, but a look at another forum's discussion on that topic might be helpful:

thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagepost.cfm…

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Rental Car Insurance

rossban, all of my credit cards used to cover rental cars in ireland but now none of them do....you get CDW with your rental but it has about a $1500 deductible and this amount is held on your credit card until you return the car unharmed....for about 12-14E per day you can get SUPER CDW and that only has a 100E deductible or in some case $0 deductible....take the insurance.....

hope that answers your question......

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Rental Car Insurance

We had the same experience as mentioned above...our credit cards used to cover CDW for Ireland but when we booked our recent July 2006 trip, we found, surprise, our particular MasterCard no longer covered the CDW insurance for Ireland. Here is what we did. We shopped around for the best car deals we could find. Then we discovered that if you rent a car through Kemwel on Michele Erdvig's web-site (www.IrelandYes.com), they guarantee they can offer you the best deal. Well, they did. We had a reservation for an automatic car with another company, and Kemwel not only matched the price for the same category of car, but they also included CDW insurance (which the other place hadn't included.) So it pays to shop around a bit and make sure you are comparing the same car category, check to see if it's automatic or manual, and check to see if the prices are being quoted in US dollars or in euros...this can throw you off when comparing!!!

We just got the regular CDW, as my husband didn't want to pay for the super CDW. They did put a $1200 hold on our credit card for this amount until the car was returned in good shape. (Since we haven't gotten our credit card bill yet I cannot tell you for sure what became of this $1200, it was actually my husband who signed the paperwork.) But so far he hasn't been complaining so I assume it all worked out!

Also, my husband always drives on trips and has driven all around the world. I can tell you in Ireland your car will really be in jeapardy many times because the roads are narrow, a bus or truck will come barreling towards you, and not only do you have to move over, with NO shoulder on your side of the road, there may also be rocks, bushes, or curbs that come to odd points on your side of the road...difficult to keep your car out of jeapardy! Plus many tourists in Ireland are driving on the left for the first time...this adds to the hazards.

4. Re: Ireland Rental Car Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:36
Get answers to your questions about Galway